'76 evirude 6hp questions

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Swamp, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

I working the kinks out of a '76 6hp evinrude 6004A.

First question, how much water should be coming out of the shaft hole? I'm used to engines that "pee". No questions there if it is pumping well or not. I'm getting a spray but have no reference if it enough of a spray. I will be replacing the impeller anyway since I think it is a time bomb to leave a possibly original 30+ year impeller in place. I was thinking of dropping the motor on a small jon boat this weekend just to see how she pushes it, but want to be sure the engine is getting enough cooling.

Second, What have peoples experiences been with http://www.marineengine.com ? They seem to have decent prices across th eboard, but I have never done bushiness with them.

Neat little motor. Whoever put it away did a great job. Nice coat of oil on/in everything. Even the genuine cork float is still intact and funtional (will be replacing though). I haven't seen one of those in a long long time, let alone whole and useable.

Swamp