Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com and my PowerSkiff!
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bet you've never heard of one of these before. Me neither. :) Took me a couple of days to find out what it was, in fact. Built in Charleston, South Carolina, interestingly enough, by a company OOB since 1976.

It came with 2 other things I was looking for, though; a 'johnnyrude 15 2-smoke, and a decent trailer.
The boat, as she sits, is admittedly crap. :) Whadya expect, for $280 inclusive? :D

I couldn't run the engine at the sellers place (no water, no gas, etc...) but it showed right at 85#'s on both cylinders (cold), so I figured she was good. If nothing else, I reasoned, the trailer is worth the price.
Yet being a classic johnnyrude, sure enough she cranked up pretty soon after I got some good gas into her on returning home.
New fuel pump, carb kit, impeller kit, and recoil spring came in the mail yesterday.

On looking her over, I really like the dimensions for a low-power shallow water boat - long and narrow. She's 14' LOA, 36" beam at bottom of hull, flaring to about 42" at the deck. Her topsides run straight aft once the bow has flared to meet the max beam. Pretty much a flat bottom; a teensy bit of deadrise at the bow, and the hull turns up an inch or two there.
She was intended to be a bass boat, or a brim/bluegill boat. I've seen lots like her.

But if I deck her over forward and a little in the rear to make a cockpit of sorts, beef up her overall construction with some foam coring, I think she'll be tough enough and water resistant enough to make for a fun boat that'll run good on that 15. Not in the chop, no - bottom is way too flat for that, I may try a planing pad/sharpie chine if I find she pounds too easily, too much - it gets choppy real regular around here. but first, just the main conversion to bring her back to life.

Last two pics are conceptual of what decking her over might look like.

bow-now.jpg
stern-now.jpg
bow-afternow.jpg
stern-afternow.jpg

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,076 Posts
Like a ghenoo on steroids. Get a push pole and have at it. Perfect for creeks and flats

Reactions: CapnK

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally an update. :) It's been a slow, back-burner process up until the past couple of months. I should explain that this is never going to be a 'show boat', she'll have more a working craft finish. I'm only a casual fisherman, primarily what I want to use this boat for is as a general runaround, and also be able to take her out and have a floating camping platform on which I could spend a night or few while out shooting photos.
To that end I'm keeping a very open, simple, and cheap layout. Cheap is also a major goal - both to 'create', and to run. Ideally when done I'll have spent well under $1K making her suitable for my purposes. Boat, motor (original 'rude 15) and trailer I picked up for $280 off of Bookface Marketplace. Right now she has a Yam 9.9 2S on her; I was given for free a Yam 4hp 4S LS that I traded to a guy for the 9.9. The 15 works, I just wanted to try the smaller motor first given this is a tiny little boat with only a 36" beam. Currently I'm a bit over $500 on the whole thing, including the fancy Capt's chair I got for her...
Ran her for tthe first time last week. On still water she goes 26mph with the 9.9, and it's, well, a bit hairy - with her flat bottom at high speed, she resembles a giant slalom ski. :D I'll try the 15 on her eventually, but may stick with the 9.9 if I keep the bottom flat.

Below is how she was on her first run. I cut out the forward two bench seats, then in front of the last seat made athwartship 'ribs' 2.5" tall to divide the bottom into sections. I poured foam into the sections, leveled them out, capping them with a layer of 1/2" Divinycel, over which I epoxied a layer of 17 oz biaxial glass. A "Carolina Skiff" type interior. Pictures of this process may have been lost when my phone went diving a couple months ago; if I find some others I'll add them in later.

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After trying out how it felt to be crouched down on that little bench (not good), I bought a nice Millennial mesh seat and pedestal, see below. Pics of current progress to come, but I've removed the bench and put in a bulkhead to section off the area ahead of the motor, as well as countersunk mounts for the seat base. She sits low enough in the back at rest that I want to have a sort of splash-deck over this area in the rear to avoid being swamped if going slow in chop. I'm going to cover it at first with a Sunbrella cover and see how that works out as it will be very lightweight, but may eventually go with a 'hard' top of some sort of that seems to be a better solution.
Last pic is with Crewdog Barque, my boating buddy. He's digging the little boat. :)

20210409_165106_web.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. :)

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought I'd show y'all why I want to be able to go out and sleep on a teeny boat in the middle of the marsh. I really dig shooting sunrise and sunset landscapes here in the Carolina Lowcountry, and this will allow me to get out there earlier and farther, 'more'.
That's the plan, at least. :)

9-22-20sunsetCypress2-DSC02577.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts