Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

70,90,115hp for cayo 180?

Votes: 5 31.3%

Votes: 4 25.0%

Votes: 7 43.8%
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
I'm happy with the F70 on mine and would not go bigger due to draft concerns as I am in Texas. I was able to hit 40 - 41 MPH with two people and a light load before switching to a Foreman prop, but the holeshot wasn't great when loaded down with three people.

How fast/shallow are you trying to booze cruise with four people on board anyways?

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm happy with the F70 on mine and would not go bigger due to draft concerns as I am in Texas. I was able to hit 40 - 41 MPH with two people and a light load before switching to a Foreman prop, but the holeshot wasn't great when loaded down with three people.

How fast/shallow are you trying to booze cruise with four people on board anyways?
Depends how happy hour is…? I will be fishing shallow 90% of the time….I think the 115 is a bit excessive for what I’ll be doing. Unless someone said the 115 doesn’t make that much of a weight difference for poling or draft

· Registered
2022 Evo
1,009 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt because I don’t have a ton of experience on the pole. I’ve poled a couple HPXs, @DBStoots waterman with 70, and my Evo with 115. You can definitely feel the difference but to me it wasn’t a huge deal but I don’t pole a ton. I’m also a big dude over 200 so not sure if that makes a difference. Dave’s boat was the easiest it’s pretty nimble but I feel my Evo poles just fine. Tracks good and was not difficult to push around. I guess as I spend more time out there I’ll start to appreciate those subtleties. For now I’m a part time poler so I’ll keep the extra ponies. It was only 35lbs more than the Zuke 90 I was considering and I’m more than happy with my choice.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Take this with a grain of salt because I don’t have a ton of experience on the pole. I’ve poled a couple HPXs, @DBStoots waterman with 70, and my Evo with 115. You can definitely feel the difference but to me it wasn’t a huge deal but I don’t pole a ton. I’m also a big dude over 200 so not sure if that makes a difference. Dave’s boat was the easiest it’s pretty nimble but I feel my Evo poles just fine. Tracks good and was not difficult to push around. I guess as I spend more time out there I’ll start to appreciate those subtleties. For now I’m a part time poler so I’ll keep the extra ponies. It was only 35lbs more than the Zuke 90 I was considering and I’m more than happy with my choice.
Fair point, I’m 215 lbs and will definitely have a trolling motor for the days when it’s blowing 20mph. The extra 35lbs seems worth it for another 15 hp I’d think

· Registered
875 Posts
I'd run the 90 2-stroke for a bit and see how it fits with your needs (probably a perfect fit). If you want to re-power and stay skinny, go with the F70 and get a second prop with less pitch for the booze cruisin'. On the other hand, if 2" more draft would still work for you, a Suzuki DF90A with its 2.59:1 gear ratio will provide awesome hole-shot, 46 mph top speed, and 10 MPG at a 32 mph cruise. If you can afford another inch of draft, and you like to go 52 mph or faster for fun, put a Merc 115 ProXS on it and let the horses run!

· Registered
875 Posts
Just looked up specs Suzuki 90 is 344lbs and proxs 115 is 359lbs doubt you’ll ever notice 15lbs
True. The only other feature that favors the Suzuki is the offset drive shaft, which positions the center of gravity closer to the transom. I may be splitting hairs here, but it does make a difference - even if just a small amount of weight forward.

Head Arm Shoulder Leg Human body

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
True. The only other feature that favors the Suzuki is the offset drive shaft, which positions the center of gravity closer to the transom. I may be splitting hairs here, but it does make a difference - even if just a small amount of weight forward.

View attachment 221428
It seems every Suzuki is order only around here and I’ve hear 3-80weeks. Same with proxs

· Registered
875 Posts
It seems every Suzuki is order only around here and I’ve hear 3-80weeks. Same with proxs
Now is not a good time to buy motors, with high demand and a supply shortage. However, you have an open offer of help from @JacobCayo on this thread. Boat builders get top priority on new motor availability. There are new motors around if you take the time to search:

https://www.dossmarine.com/search/inventory/usage/New/type/Outboard Motors

Isle of Palms Marine Service & Sales

Isle of Palms Marine Service & Sales (Facebook)

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Haha still going. I’ll add some more. Went fishing with my dad yesterday and he thought I was crazy for going with the 115 saying the Zuke 90 was good enough. Opened her up going across a slick calm bay and he looked at me, smiled and said now I understand 😄
The difference in weight and price for the extra horses seems like a no brainer

21 - 40 of 46 Posts