70,90,115hp for cayo 180?

Votes: 5 31.3%

Votes: 4 25.0%

Votes: 7 43.8%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly repowering a cayo 180 from a 90’s 2 stroke Yamaha 90hp. Like to fish shallow water but will often have 3-4 adults for a booze cruise. Any issues with the 70 pushing the cayo 180? If I go 90 why not just go 115?
Thanks!

· Registered
2020 Cayo Boatworks 180
21 Posts
400 hrs with 115PXS on my personal Cayo 180. The boat also has the Sea Star full size jack-plate which is 50lbs.
These items are always in the boat:
-Yeti 35 full
-Cast Net (forward storage)
-Small Anchor & Rode (forward storage)
-Group 34 AGM Trolling Motor Battery. (forward storage, prob 50lbs)

Never used a tape measure so these numbers are estimates.
2 guys no water in live well : 8"-9"
2 guys full live well(35gal): 10"-11"
Solo with or without water in live well 10"-11"

With a 70HP you will be 5"-8" draft.

Cruise with 70: 30-34Mph depending on load.
Cruise with 115: 30-48Mph depending on conditions.

You will never regret the 115 if draft is not your primary concern!

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
400 hrs with 115PXS on my personal Cayo 180. The boat also has the Sea Star full size jack-plate which is 50lbs.
These items are always in the boat:
-Yeti 35 full
-Cast Net (forward storage)
-Small Anchor & Rode (forward storage)
-Group 34 AGM Trolling Motor Battery. (forward storage, prob 50lbs)

Never used a tape measure so these numbers are estimates.
2 guys no water in live well : 8"-9"
2 guys full live well(35gal): 10"-11"
Solo with or without water in live well 10"-11"

With a 70HP you will be 5"-8" draft.

Cruise with 70: 30-34Mph depending on load.
Cruise with 115: 30-48Mph depending on conditions.

You will never regret the 115 if draft is not your primary concern!
Thanks Jacob! Looking forward to the cayo from Randy. I might rock the 90 2 stroke for a while and see how it sits then. Was thinking of going brand new while it’s in the shop with him but I may just wait. Once I get a hold of it I’m going to need to snag some swag to match!

· Registered
2020 Cayo Boatworks 180
21 Posts
Thanks Jacob! Looking forward to the cayo from Randy. I might rock the 90 2 stroke for a while and see how it sits then. Was thinking of going brand new while it’s in the shop with him but I may just wait. Once I get a hold of it I’m going to need to snag some swag to match!
That 90 may be the perfect combination of weight, and power. Come by anytime for swag, we will get you hooked up!

· I Love microskiff.com!
17 Posts
Also if you are going to pole more often then not, I would go with the 70. My boat sits perfectly level and spins really well with two adults. With my skinny ass 9 year old on the bow I had to add a 5 gallon bucket of water and move a 35 yeti to the bow area to get it to be level...Granted when it is glassy out, I would love to be going 50....

· Registered
1,309 Posts
For me how the boat sits is key, but I pole a lot. Changing to a 115 with a jackplate you are adding at least 100lbs right on stern. My guess is boat will squat some and not pole as easily. If going fast is your concern go with 115, if you pole more than half the time go with f70. Or just rebuild the 90 2 stroke and run it.

· Registered
SaltMarsh Heron 18
100 Posts
I have a 90 SHO on my Heron 18 no jackplate (different boat for sure). Looks like same size gas tanks at 20 gallons and Cayo is 6 inches shorter and bit more narrow. I run 41mph WOT with 3 people and gear and can sip gas goin 30-33mph. Is there a difference in gas consumption between a 90 and 115 four stroke that is noticeable?

I'd go 115 merc if I had to do it again.

Good luck! Those boats are beautiful!

· Registered
2022 Evo
1,009 Posts
Gas consumption depends on how you’re running it but the bigger motor will be more efficient at higher speed. It’s nice cruising to your spot at 35+ and the engine is purring, barely breaking a sweat and sipping gas. Life is about compromises and the correct decision will be based on how the OP wants to run it and how he fishes most of the time. By no means is going 40+ necessary but it sure is nice when you got a long run and it’s just plain enjoyable to let er rip once and a while.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts