2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
$40 obo each

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New or used?
The shorts was cast for a season but cleaned and dressed often. The regular was cast one day at RedFly and then taken off because the shorts is better for my rod....which I had an extra of.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Triangle taper sold. Bermuda Shorts 7 still available.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Jon,

Maybe you should have just tried it on your 8wt because they (Wulff lines) are 1 weight heavier than what they state it is. Good for stiff rods and novice casters, but not so great on slighter softer rods and/or more advanced casters. Maybe the reason you didn't like it on your 7wt rod so much. So the actual head weight of the 7wt BTT (225.3 grain) is more than the recommendation from affta for an 8wt of 210gr on average (ranging between 202-218gr with 210gr being the average). So a standard SA Mastery Saltwater (225gr) or their Bonefish taper (210gr) in a 8wt.

The reason your Wulff BTT Short felt better was the fact that is was lighter than the Standard BTT head. So in the 7wt, the BTT Shorts weighs in at 197.5gr weight vs the BTT at 225.3gr, vs what affta considers what the avg stand 7wt fly line head should weigh in at, which is 185gr (ranging from 177gr to 193gr).

So with the head of the BTT Shorts (22.1ft in total lenght) aired completely out of the tip top guide, on an 8wt, it will feel like a quick loading light weight bonefish line on an light weight, fast to med fast 8wt rod. Where the 30ft head of the 7wt BTT will feel like a standard 8wt SA Mastery Saltwater taper on a fast to extra fast 8wt rod, for an intermediate to advanced caster, both with the benefit of being able to unroll the line and leader out efficiently with that unique triangle taper.

Again, for the novice or beginner caster in saltwater, the BTT and the BTT Short will easily help someone feel the line load up on a 7wt, especially on a stiff one. With the BTT Shorts, it's general purpose on a standard 7wt fly rod is to quickly cast out slightly larger flies than what is recommending for a 7wt (8wt size or redfish flies), to shorter distances. On average, a 20-60ft distance range. Then with a more advance casting technique, applied to an 8wt rod in less windy conditions with standard 7-8wt flies, you'll see farther distances with an 8wt rod (which has more backbone than a 7wt). For the guy who bought the regular Wulff BTT from you, he can also throw it on his 8wt and fish it like a standard SA Mastery series Saltwater tapered 8wt line.

BTW, Scientific Anglers makes the Royal Wulff lines for them and uses the SA AST coating on them. Shhh.... don't tell anyone I said that! It's their secret!

This post/reply was not to deture any buyer out there, or for that matter, yourself. It's more to help them be more aware of their advantages and what other situations they can be used for. Wulff makes a quality line that is for sure and it's hard to beat their low memory and ability to completely unroll out your loops, leader and therefore fly, straight at your target. So some may not feel the line is right for them. But the reasons are why I described it up above. ;)

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've cast the shorts on that rod before and should've stuck with it. The Arc 7 is pretty fast so I wanted to try the regular BTT on it....and it did well but not as I like. The shorts is money!

Reactions: Backwater

·
Registered
932 Posts
For the guy who bought the regular Wulff BTT from you, he can also throw it on his 8wt and fish it like a standard SA Mastery series Saltwater tapered 8wt line.
That be me. Thanks for the info. Plan to get a 7 TFO Axiom II later this year and buying the line for it. If it overlines, I can use it for my 8 St Croix Legend Ultra, which has an older standard freshwater line on it.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
That be me. Thanks for the info. Plan to get a 7 TFO Axiom II later this year and buying the line for it. If it overlines, I can use it for my 8 St Croix Legend Ultra, which has an older standard freshwater line on it.
Yeah the Axiom II is faster than a Legend Ultra in the same weight. So knowing you in our conversations, that 7wt BTT might just work out for you so you can feel that fast rod load up for ya. But it will make that 8wt Legend Ultra (med/fast) feel a little faster with the 7wt BTT and may also be a good fit for that rod as well.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
I can vogue for Jon though. He's a very legit and well respected guy here in our fly fishing community and there's no worries about purchasing anything from him!

Good luck with the sale of the other line. ;)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Ended picking up a basically new 7 TFO TCIRx from a friend. Loaded the Wulff and casts pretty darn good for me. Picked up some nice crappie while trying it out in our hood's lake, obviously too much rod, but got to try the outfit.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You cannot beat that Wulff line

1 - 12 of 12 Posts