SOLD/EXPIRED 61 Challenger on Ebay

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by GTSRGTSR, Dec 1, 2011.

1. GTSRGTSR

GTSRGTSR Well-Known Member

It isnt mine but it is pretty cool

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Challenger-original-Flats-Boat-set-standard-powered-Mercury-outboard-/120818651424?pt=Fishing_Boats&hash=item1c215a5120#v4-40
    Looks like steep price!!! :eek:

2. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Since it looks like a donated rig up for auction as a fund raiser... I imagine they'll be a bit more realistic the next time they list it...

3. fishy82

fishy82 I Love microskiff.com!

Lemay, how much do you think it's worth?.

4. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from pics unless they're really specific. With a fifty year old hull there's lots of possibilities for things to be either expensive (if you have a shop fix them) or very tme consuming (if you're the one doing the various things like replacing a floor or transom, etc.).

Those old Challengers were built in two configurations a round chine and a square chine hull. Over the years most you'll ever see were re-built/customized on more than one occasion. Done right they're pretty darned good, but many that you'll find are essentially project hulls that might take quite a bit of time and money to sort out. Since the ad also shows a very old motor you'd have to plan on replacing it as well.

Not a very satisfactory answer but remember when these hulls were very popular there just weren't any microskiff alternatives. Nowadays you can find really first rate small hulls that are bare bones or set up nicely for not much more than you could wind up putting in an old Challenger....

5. GTSRGTSR

GTSRGTSR Well-Known Member

Yeah, someones gonna buy this for the classic appeal, not for fishability reasons. That merc should go to a collector, if it is al all decent.

Its a cool old boat but it would need a hard looking over to know what you are getting... :cool:

6. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I will be putting my Challenger up for sale in the very near future. Mine is a 1982 Challenger built from the ground up as a "walk around gunnel" flats skiff from the factory.  In addition, it is a foam cored hull that is extremely light.

I restored mine in 2004/2005 and it been garaged kept ever since.  Mine will be priced higher than the one on Ebay, but it is turn key restored and ready to fish with no issues...

The only reason I'm selling is that I just do not use her as much as I should and she was built to be fished, not to be a "garage queen".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CaptainRob

CaptainRob Hell's Bay 17.8 Whipray

WOW Bobby C, if only I had the money I would be all over that your challenger! IF anyone out there is looking for a challenger and has not looked that this boat they are missing out!

8. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

I have 2 skiffs... My Gordon Waterman and my Challenger that do basically the same things and it's hard to justify keeping 2 boats.

It's so hard to pick between selling the Side Console Challenger or selling the tiller Gordon 16'. I should list both of them for sale and keep the one that doesn't sell. Both are top-notch skinny water skiffs!

9. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

I have seen this skiff and it is first rate for sure...hope I am between skiffs when it comes up for sale....

10. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Dang Snookdaddy, i wonder how hard it would be for me to get a $10k loan on a 30year old boat... Just kidding, guess i'll never own a dream ride like that