Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendations on fly lines for a 6 wt tidal? Just picked one up mainly throwing it for slot reds and little sheepies in south la. Just the rod I keep in my truck I can go throw after work for a bit. Thanks in advance!

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
That 6wt Tidal has a little more backbone than some rods, but softer in the tip and mid section than other rods. If you are trying to cast a little further to those fish with that rod, I'd say get a line that is truer to weight and keep the flies more true to 6wt size flies. But if you are wading or casting from a skiff at very close range shots, then use a shorter head line or a line that is slightly heavier.

A good mix for both would be a Scientific Angler (SA) Mastery Series Warmwater Redfish 6wt line or a Royal Wulff 6wt Bermuda Triangle Taper Short (Bermuda Shorts and not the standard BTT (which the BTT is too heavy for that rod)). Those are lines that can load short and easily throw short with the proper casting techniques with that particular rod. So say... shots from 10-20ft out to about 60ft.

For longer distance with flies that are more to redfish style flies (say 30-80ft), then I'd consider the SA Mastery Series Saltwater 6wt or the Cortland Liquid Crystal Flats Taper 6wt in the sky blue. You can even use a 5wt Wulff BTT since its the same weight as a 6wt line. For an all around affordable line, pick up a TFO 6wt WF 6wt fly line in the olive color. It's not a bad fly line for the price.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 8wt tidal likes the SA mastery redfish 8wt but I’ve fished SA mastery winter redfish 7wt on it as well. I agree with Backwater on going with a true to weight line or not much over.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’d even think about normal lines like the SA Expert Distance, the Cortland Omniverse or a standard trout type line. If you want a little more turn over for bulkier flies, cut 2 or 3 feet off the front and make a new loop or tie on with a nail knot. This will get you a great casting combination with 6wt size flies at normal fishing distances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been reading a lot into actual line weight. I usually just buy a line weighted for whatever rod I’m throwing and never really looked much into actual line wt. it’s really interesting the actual weights compared to a lot. Some of the Cortland lines and airflo are matching between 6 and 7 wt lines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts