5th Annual Flamingo to Islamorada Weekend

Discussion in 'Events, Open Houses, Shows' started by bermuda, Aug 6, 2013.

1. bermuda

bermuda Well-Known Member

Its that time of the year again....Tgunn posted from another forum...

"Keeping with tradition of having the trip on the same weekend as the Columbus Day Regatta, this year's run from Flamingo to Islamorada is set for the weekend of 10/12.

Departure time from the Flamingo Marina channel is 12:00pm.

Many of us will stay over in Islamorada as in years past. Some of us will be watching the Gators play LSU Saturday night in Islamorada. Others who wish to run back before dark usually can follow someone familiar with the route.

This is a fun run and anyone who would like to have the GPS route can benefit from the trip.

Link to other thread:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?123615-5th-Annual-Flamingo-to-Islamorada-Weekend

2. bermuda

I will try to make it this year.

[​IMG]

3. mikeregas

mikeregas I Love microskiff.com!

Does this run have a purpose (charity) or something. Or is it just a day on the water?

And is lodging in Flamingo?

Thanks!

4. bermuda

It just a fun run, no charity involved. No lodging in flamingo unless you are camping. The nearest lodging would be Florida City.

5. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

I'm in however it's tentative. Wife, son and I are going to Islamorada end of august. But I want to make it none the less.

6. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I'll probably stay in Islamorada and run over to Flamingo to make the run back with the crew.

7. iMacattack

That is the best idea. Did it last year and it was the best way to go.

8. mikeregas

Is it "kid friendly"

9. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

The run or lodging? The run is just that, you run the backwaters from Flamingo to Islamorada. Lodging, well that lands more on your choice of where to say.

10. Romyrobau@gmail.co

Romyrobau@gmail.co I Love microskiff.com!

How many miles is it? I ask because of fuel. Is there a fuel stop or should we take extra if the range on the boat isn't very far? What is the average running speed on the run?

11. iMacattack

Kid friendly? Yup, check out my pictures from lest year.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?71410-4th-Annual-Flamingo-to-Islamorada-Weekend-Trip-2012/page16

The run is about 25 miles. Takes about an hour plus depending on conditions.

Cheers

12. brevard955

brevard955 I Love microskiff.com!

This sounds like the prime opportunity fo rme to get familiar with Flamingo and Fl Bay. I like the Islamorada lodging idea fore sure. Where are yall planning to stay?

gh

13. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Last time I did this run with everyone from here almost everyone stayed at the La Jolla. But I spent most of this spring staying at friends houses, or at the Kon Tiki resort. I really like the Kon Tiki and plan on staying there for this years trip. It's a really nice place, on the water with free dockage, right next to World Wide Sportsman.

In 2010, the speed was about 17 MPH cause Bermuda's SUV was loaded super heavy and that was as fast as he could do, and it was really rough out going through storms, too. I have been making the run regularly, without any other boats and I average 37-40 MPH, as it's a far run and I like to get there quick. I run a different route than the one we did in 2010, and it's a very shallow route, that I don't recommend many skiffs taking.

14. iMacattack

Here are some links to previous years.

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1253798287/60

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1287969105

15. mikeregas

I think I am in. No big games that weekend ;D

So is it just a run to Flamingo and back or do you run over and fish the day and then run back?

16. bermuda

I have a faster boat now so i wont be the slow guy this time lol ;)

17. iMacattack

The "run" is from Flamingo marina channel to Islamorada. We typically run to some spot for lunch, we've gone mostly to Lorelei but have gone to Hog Heaven too.

Some folks stay the night before in Islamorada and run from Isla to Flamingo, hook up with the group and run back. Others put in in Flamingo and run to Islamorada with the group.

18. mikeregas

iMacattack - Thanks for the info.

I booked my room at Kon Tiki for the whole weekend (10/11 - 10/14) so it should be fun and well deserved break. My GF and I are going to make the trip and leave the little man with the grand parents so it will be an adults only trip for us. [smiley=1-beer.gif]

This will also be the first Microskiff event that I have done and I am looking forward to meeting some of you guys.

Thanks and see you all in October.

19. mikeregas

Well I have spent some time this past weekend for football, but it looks like we will have some evening entertainment as well if you are staying at Kon Tiki

[​IMG]

20. iMacattack

Room booked @ La Jolla. Heading down Friday and staying through Sunday. If you are going to be in Islamorada and need to follow someone over in the AM let me know.

Also what size boat is everyone bringing? Not sure of I'm going to bring the Scout, Egret or Waterman... leaning towards the Egret.

Cheers