Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

5200? Please help

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  flyfshrmn82 
#1 ·
Will 5200 hold a piece of starboard to the inside if the hull so I can mount my fuel water separator under the rear hatch in my nmz. I don't want to drill thru the hull so I figured starboard would be good to drill into. Just curious about 5200 holding the starboard.

#2 ·
http://www.kingplastic.com/info-center/faq/

Most say no.

Others have scuffed it up and glued to some success. It's not structural, but...

site:microskiff.com starboard 5200

#9 ·
I'm figuring out the same thing right now. A couple options I came up with:
1. Epoxy a PVC board to the transom and screw my separator and tach to that

2. Build a small box/sled that holds the gas tank and I can scre the separator and tach to that. Whole thing can easily be removed from boat.

3. Same idea as num 1 but use 3M dual lock which is like super Velcro for a not so permanent location until I find the most accessible and storage friendly spot.

#12 ·
Why don't you use some wood 6" X 6"? Fiberglass it and seal it up if you prefer. 5200 will hold but preparation is everything. You'll have to maintain a bond line thickness and give it 7-10 days to fully cure. After a couple years, if it feels like it is starting to let go or the wood is rotting, pry it off and do it again. A bond line of 1/16" will give you space to remove if needed by cutting with piano wire if needed.

I watched someone use 5200 between a jackplate and the transom. When the jackplate needed to come off, the guy tore the gelcoat and fiberglass off the transom to get the jackplate off.

#14 ·

I watched someone use 5200 between a jackplate and the transom.  When the jackplate needed to come off, the guy tore the gelcoat and fiberglass off the transom to get the jackplate off.  [/quote]

Glad to know I am not the only one who has done this :-[.. 5200 is some uber strong stuff... Thinking it will hold a fuel filter easy... I removed the hardware from my jack-plate an my 25 Nissan just hung there!!! Had to jiggle and jerk to damage the gel coat,,, hummmm I mean remove the engine..

#15 ·

I watched someone use 5200 between a jackplate and the transom.  When the jackplate needed to come off, the guy tore the gelcoat and fiberglass off the transom to get the jackplate off. 

Glad to know I am not the only one who has done this :-[..  5200 is some uber strong stuff...  Thinking it will hold a fuel filter easy... I removed the hardware from my jack-plate an my 25 Nissan just hung there!!! Had to jiggle and jerk to damage the gel coat,,, hummmm I mean remove the engine..[/quote]

Issue here is not adhesive strength. It's starboard adhesion properties.

That said, I want to test this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ASz464-v0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.