Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
The cheapest you'll find (new or used...) will be a 16' jon boat - a great learner's rig inshore (for sheltered waters since that hull will beat you in a chop..). Spend time on the water with it and you'll have a much better idea of what you want for your second skiff for the salt...

Aren't boats fun?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wouldn't be my first boat by far but would be the first for salt and the inshore scene. How do aluminum boats survive in salt and how long would a fresh water fiberglass boat hold up. Does brackish water have a similar effect? I would Just keep my old Tuffy if I was not concerned about the salt eating it.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Fiberglass lasts a lot longer - but will mostly be more expensive as well initially... Long term? Fiberglass all day long...

·
Brandon, FL
10,938 Posts
Wouldn't be my first boat by far but would be the first for salt and the inshore scene. How do aluminum boats survive in salt and how long would a fresh water fiberglass boat hold up. Does brackish water have a similar effect? I would Just keep my old Tuffy if I was not concerned about the salt eating it.
Aluminum will be just fine in salt. They can have issues if left in the water permanently. If you trailer it you will not have any issues. Rinse it after using.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Cheap is kinda defined by the individual. How much you looking to spend?

·
Registered
583 Posts
The cheapest you'll find (new or used...) will be a 16' jon boat - a great learner's rig inshore (for sheltered waters since that hull will beat you in a chop..). Spend time on the water with it and you'll have a much better idea of what you want for your second skiff for the salt...

Aren't boats fun?
I don’t think the J16 is rated for anything close to a 50 in tiller configuration. Mine wasn’t. A 50 would be scary on that boat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my fiberglass boat will work just fine in salt water? I was under the impression all the aluminum fittings and rails would quickly corrode and need to be replaced. I get the wiring system issues.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
24 Posts
Looking to transfer a 50 4st tiller yamaha to a salt capable skiff. "I'm also cheap":rolleyes:
Please take a look of my post ,WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ,this 17 foot boat can handle up to a 50hp tiller all fiberglass and composite construction, for ever boat for 10k with new aluminum trailer, thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts