Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it happened again today. Aggressive blow up that pop my lure out of the water, followed by 2 or 3 more violent blow ups.
Cast back with 5 to 6 violent blow ups.....And he ate......Here's proof ........
A 24 1/2" citation Trout that weighed 5 plus pounds.....
Released a bunch of 2 pounders, also weighted in 2 over 3......
You
IMG_20191022_134918_608.jpg
got to believe........ICM

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations on the big girl, I don’t mean to be ugly, I’m just a huge proponent of releasing these big girls so they can get bigger.
What’s a citation trout?
Thank you & I know you weren't being ugly.

I also practice catch & release, whenever possible.
Here in NC giggers are allowed to gig 75 Trout a night, while recs are allowed 4 a day.
Citation Trout is any Trout over 5# - The North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries also has a citation program recognizing anglers for their outstanding recreational catches of fish most commonly caught in North Carolina.

Since January first of this year I have personally caught 142 Trout. While guys fishing with me have tripled that amount, most were released. I have eaten 2, give away 3 & released the rest.
Today we caught close to 15 Trout, all but 3 were released & they will be shared with neighbors.
So please don't take the moral high ground when it comes to releasing fish..... ICM

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Thank you & I know you weren't being ugly.

I also practice catch & release, whenever possible.
Here in NC giggers are allowed to gig 75 Trout a night, while recs are allowed 4 a day.
Citation Trout is any Trout over 5# - The North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries also has a citation program recognizing anglers for their outstanding recreational catches of fish most commonly caught in North Carolina.

Since January first of this year I have personally caught 142 Trout. While guys fishing with me have tripled that amount, most were released. I have eaten 2, give away 3 & released the rest.
Today we caught close to 15 Trout, all but 3 were released & they will be shared with neighbors.
So please don't take the moral high ground when it comes to releasing fish..... ICM
Thank you for not getting upset as a lot of folks would have. I didn’t know what a citation trout was. Thanks for the knowledge!
I fish one tournament a year that has been going on for a decade and last year finally got the trout slot to be 25” max instead of a lot of these kill tournaments that seem to just love piles of dead sow trout. I did weigh in a 24” trout for it but just like you I rarely even keep fish. Down here growing up it was nothing to go out on a Saturday in the 12’ aluminum flat bottom with a red and white Hogie shrimp “tout” tail, a tuxedo Cocahoe minnow or silver 1/2oz Johnson Sprite spoon and catch a hundred trout over 20” in a couple of hours. Not any more so even though regulations allow 5 trout 15-25” with one over 25” per day it is going to take a lot of anglers limiting themselves to get those numbers back up. I commend you for being conservation minded.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Congrats on the stud. About time you caught a monster from that spot. There was bound to be a monster mixed in with the 2-3lbers.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,059 Posts
I’m just vacillating between amazed and furious that NC regs allow gigging of 75 trout per night.

I assume those are commercial guys, right? IIRC, NC only recently designated reds as a gamefish too. That’s just insane to me.

Anyway, nice trout and happy you release most of them. From what I hear about the fishery over there, overfishing makes a 5# trout a real trophy.

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Panhandler
2,727 Posts
Congrats on your big trout. But unless I'm mistaken, NC allow release of citation fish. I've caught several giant drum and haven't submitted the paperwork for a citation. My satisfaction was seeing them swim away.

Not trying to take the moral high ground, but the injustice of the commercial giggers getting 75 while recs can only take 4 is not justification for killing fish. The North Carolina recreational community needs to get involved on the political scene to restrict the commercial in-balance like has been done across much of the Southeast.

Again, attaboy on a fine catch.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Congrats on your big trout. But unless I'm mistaken, NC allow release of citation fish. I've caught several giant drum and haven't submitted the paperwork for a citation. My satisfaction was seeing them swim away.

Not trying to take the moral high ground, but the injustice of the commercial giggers getting 75 while recs can only take 4 is not justification for killing fish. The North Carolina recreational community needs to get involved on the political scene to restrict the commercial in-balance like has been done across much of the Southeast.

I have a friend in NC fishes and lives in the same place as the ice cream man and the good old boy network is strong in that state whenever it comes to commercial fishing. Glad I live in Florida we stopped that nonsense in the 90s.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yes, you are right. NC does allow a release citation for Trout.
I have released 1x 4.1/2#, 1x 5#, 1x 6#, & 1x 7# in the past.
But local Trout tournament rules you have to weigh your fish on their certified scale.

And I wasn't trying to justify, nor do I have to, to you or anyone. It was an explanation or the lopsided rules we have in NC. Where our Reds, Flounders & Trout end up in other states restaurants & dinner tables for others to enjoy.
It's my decision to weight my entry Trout.

So please stop breathing that oh, so pure rarified air on your moral high horse & telling others how to get involved. You don't have any idea of the chokehold the old boys have on our fisheries.....
Thank you for both your praise & enlightenment .......ICM

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
19 boats , 7 gill net boats last week Tuesday & Wednesday. Less than 50 acres of water in creek. Home creek. 3 net boats set out 1500+ yards. When you call fish & game they want you to go out and check Mesh size before they do anything.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Where do you guys think the Florida commercial fisherman went when y all changed it up on them down there.
I would almost trade you the commercial fisherman for the overpopulated recreational fishermen we have nothing like poling a shoreline to have someone come blasting down it right next to you. Consider yourself lucky in that aspect.

·
Panhandler
2,727 Posts
So please stop breathing that oh, so pure rarified air on your moral high horse & telling others how to get involved. You don't have any idea of the chokehold the old boys have on our fisheries.....
Thank you for both your praise & enlightenment .......ICM
Yes, I do. I've been personally involved with fisheries management issues for 30 years and know the layout in North Carolina well. The flounder collapse is the latest fiasco. We dealt with the same political scenario in Florida yet with an army of volunteers and diligent lobbying we were able to change the outcome. It can happen but it takes a tremendous commitment.

Tight lines.

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
I agree BC16 whole heartedly. For what it’s worth I never gigged a trout, honestly never known anyone to.Did not know it was a “thing”. Double F man , frogs and flounder

Marc Basnight “boss Hogg” of eastern Nc for a long time , years ago. Commercial to the core. Still feeling the effects of legislation passed during his watch

·
Registered
681 Posts
19 boats , 7 gill net boats last week Tuesday & Wednesday. Less than 50 acres of water in creek. Home creek. 3 net boats set out 1500+ yards. When you call fish & game they want you to go out and check Mesh size before they do anything.
Screw 'em....tell them you did and it was undersized. Make them get off their ass and do something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts