Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passing through SC first week in September and have never been to the low country. So staying for a day or two and bringing my inflatable Bote. Looking for some thoughts on areas to focus on where I can launch and not have to paddle for miles to get on some fish. From Google Maps is looks like Murrells Inlet area and west of Pawleys Island are two good possibilities. Also looks like tides will be above 4' in AM and then PM both of those days so I'll have to fish early and late to make the most of my short time in the area. When flats aren't flooded work flooded oyster beds, etc. I will be fishing with fly rod only 8wt., thinking shrimp, crab and seaducer patterns, dark for tannic water?

Also, any good fly shops in the area that I can check out?

Thanks for anything you can pass along.
Jimmy

·
Registered
614 Posts
I can’t speak direct for Pawleys but have fished the Georgetown area from north inlet down to Santee bays. I would not think of it as a super friendly paddle board fishery.

if you go down to the charleston area there may be more options for you.

“When flats aren't flooded work flooded oyster beds, etc. I will be fishing with fly rod only 8wt.“ - Look to get in back creeks and catch the fish as they travel in and out through the funnels.

thinking shrimp, crab and seaducer patterns, dark for tannic water? - bait of all kinds is plentiful in the creeks right now and fish are not super picky. That being said a shrimp style fly in natural colors (Tans, browns, root beer, olives) is always a great starting point.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can’t speak direct for Pawleys but have fished the Georgetown area from north inlet down to Santee bays. I would not think of it as a super friendly paddle board fishery.

if you go down to the charleston area there may be more options for you.

“When flats aren't flooded work flooded oyster beds, etc. I will be fishing with fly rod only 8wt.“ - Look to get in back creeks and catch the fish as they travel in and out through the funnels.

thinking shrimp, crab and seaducer patterns, dark for tannic water? - bait of all kinds is plentiful in the creeks right now and fish are not super picky. That being said a shrimp style fly in natural colors (Tans, browns, root beer, olives) is always a great starting point.
Good info, makes sense. Thanks for sharing, now just hope weather works out with all the crazy storms brewing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Passing through SC first week in September and have never been to the low country. So staying for a day or two and bringing my inflatable Bote. Looking for some thoughts on areas to focus on where I can launch and not have to paddle for miles to get on some fish. From Google Maps is looks like Murrells Inlet area and west of Pawleys Island are two good possibilities. Also looks like tides will be above 4' in AM and then PM both of those days so I'll have to fish early and late to make the most of my short time in the area. When flats aren't flooded work flooded oyster beds, etc. I will be fishing with fly rod only 8wt., thinking shrimp, crab and seaducer patterns, dark for tannic water?

Also, any good fly shops in the area that I can check out?

Thanks for anything you can pass along.
Jimmy
It's not a mecca for sup fly fishing like some of the marshes in the Charleston area, but Pawleys has a couple of spots that will work for you.
There's a little launch on the creek side of South Litchfield. It's pretty hidden but you should be able to find it on Google Earth if you look closely. It will put you right in a nice marsh that gets some flooded grass areas at high tide. It's pretty suitable for paddle boarding, although the currents can be strong making for a tough paddle so timing the tides right is key.
The Pritchard street launch on the South end of Pawleys Island will also give you good paddle board access and some nice flooded grass at high tide.
As far as fly shops; there's an Orvis in Myrtle Beach, but the closest local fly shop is about an hour south of Pawleys in Mt. Pleasant.
There should be some decent tides while you're here. Hope this is helpful. Have fun and good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts