Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new, and first, skiff/boat came with a 4 stroke Yamaha 20 HP electric start with power tilt and trip. When I bought it, I checked oil and pulled cowling and saw no issues, as well as had engine run with muffs installed and the engine pee’d fine and no issues.

Took it on it’s maiden voyage and it ran fine in the no wake zone, putted along no issues whatsoever.

When I got into semi-open water and could up the throttle, everything went well for a while until I noticed a red light had come on. Backed down and turned it off for a bit; when I started back up light was off. Engine closing wasn’t too hot to touch with hand, and was peeing the whole time.

Looked it up online and Yamaha manual says it’s the overheat line. A good friend thinks I didn’t have the engine trimmed enough to get sufficient water flowing (which is probably true since I don’t think so myself) but wanted to know if not having the engine trimmed all the way down is a reason why an outboard will overheat? As stated, it only started once I cranked the throttle; at low power no issues whatsoever.

Trying to rule out operator error vs possibly having to check thermostat or even replacing water pump.

B

·
0 Posts
Not sure about trim and water flow unless you had it trimmed way up so the pickups were out. If it were a new to me motor I would throw a water pump and t stat in it as well as an oil and filter change and a fuel filter just to get it on a schedule and for gp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about trim and water flow unless you had it trimmed way up so the pickups were out. If it were a new to me motor I would throw a water pump and t stat in it as well as an oil and filter change and a fuel filter just to get it on a schedule and for gp.
I have been considering doing that at home versus having a Yamaha tech do it. What are the upsides (my biggest one is cost) to a DIY service versus taking it to the Yamaha tech?

B

·
0 Posts
Cost, getting to know your motor.
Having factory tech do the work, knowing it was done right... in most cases at least.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The main advantage for me is knowing everything was done correctly and in a timely manner. Things that require special tools or knowledge get left to the professionals. edit: what Boatbrains said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts