4 stroke Honda

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by crozb, Feb 13, 2009.

1. crozb

crozb Well-Known Member

I picked up a 2004 Honda 4 stroke 20 hp for my classic.  Before I use I wanted to replace the oils.
    For the lower unit is Quicksilver Gearlube ok or is the viscosity different from manufacture's recommendation.
    Also I was planning on changing the engine oil with quicksilver 5w-30 platinum.
    Any suggestions?
    Do you have to fill from the bottom on the lower unit or can you fill from top and turn prop.  I heard it both ways.  
    Any thing else I should change since I don't know the prior owner's maintenance schedule?

Thanks,

2. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

it's fine just change the oil from quicksilver.... ;)

3. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

I've always heard and done "fill from the bottom". Get a pair of cheap rubber gloves, invest in a lube pump (~$9) and pump it in. Less mess, less waste, keep the pump for future oil changes.

-T

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://www.nitroowners.com/projects/lowerunit/lowerunitproject.htm