Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2004 Honda 4 stroke 20 hp for my classic.  Before I use I wanted to replace the oils.
For the lower unit is Quicksilver Gearlube ok or is the viscosity different from manufacture's recommendation.
Also I was planning on changing the engine oil with quicksilver 5w-30 platinum.
Any suggestions?
Do you have to fill from the bottom on the lower unit or can you fill from top and turn prop.  I heard it both ways.  
Any thing else I should change since I don't know the prior owner's maintenance schedule?

Thanks,

·
Won "Do More With Less" Award!
1,715 Posts
I picked up a 2004 Honda 4 stroke 20 hp for my classic.  Before I use I wanted to replace the oils.
For the lower unit is Quicksilver Gearlube ok or is the viscosity different from manufacture's recommendation.
Any suggestions?
Do you have to fill from the bottom on the lower unit or can you fill from top and turn prop.  I heard it both ways.  
Any thing else I should change since I don't know the prior owner's maintenance schedule?

Thanks,
it's fine just change the oil from quicksilver.... ;)

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
I've always heard and done "fill from the bottom". Get a pair of cheap rubber gloves, invest in a lube pump (~$9) and pump it in. Less mess, less waste, keep the pump for future oil changes.

-T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts