Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the 3Tand TF (50 or 70) compares to the TFO BVK II reel? I have the BVK reel on my BVK 6wt. rod. I like the weight and size of the reel, but I'm not the biggest fan of the drag adjustment knob. Most things I've read about the TF series reels have been positive, and they look like solid reels. I would probably be looking at either the TF50 or TF70. The TF70 is probably the most similar in size to the BVK II, but I think the TF50 could work as well. I'm just curious if the TF would be an upgrade over the BVK reel.

Thanks!

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
Personally, I like the 3-Tands. I think the drag is better and sealed. They also had a problem with their drag knob not being the best it could be since wet fingers had a little problem gripping and turning it. That being said, they have upgraded the drag knob and now it's easier to grip.

But being totally honest with you, the BVK II is a very functional reel, especially for a 6wt in NOLA (sea trout and smaller reds). If I were going to the islands and bonefishing a lot with it, then I'd consider making the switch, since I think the drags on the 3-Tands have the edge over the BVK reels. That is, of course, you have someone willing to pay you some decent coins for the BVK reel and the difference is not much, then I'd make the switch. If not, then don't worry about it and fish what you have.

Ted

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've owned both and still have my tf70 sold the bvk. I liked the 3tand better cause of the smoother start up on the drag and built tougher. I also couldn't stand the clicking sound of the bvk when reeling in fish.

Forgot to add that bvk spool release is to easy to hit while reeling in fish and the spring that holds the lever in place for spool release is one more thing to go wrong.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
I've owned both and still have my tf70 sold the bvk. I liked the 3tand better cause of the smoother start up on the drag and built tougher. I also couldn't stand the clicking sound of the bvk when reeling in fish.

Forgot to add that bvk spool release is to easy to hit while reeling in fish and the spring that holds the lever in place for spool release is one more thing to go wrong.
Good info! Welcome to the Fly Fishing forum of microskiff.

What area do you live and fish?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts