35 Evinrude Throttle Lever on motor Problem

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by jrod0785, Apr 26, 2011.

1. jrod0785

jrod0785 Well-Known Member

I went to hook up the shift linkage and throttle linkage to my boat. And It shifts forward, neutral and reverse fine. But when you put it in the forward and keep pushing it to give it throttle it does not want to do anything. You can go back to the motor wear the throttle linkage hooks to and manually push it (with force) and it will move forward and back. It seems like it is froze up. I know it is not in the cable because you can dissconect it and the cable goes back and forth with ease. I tried to spray some Knocker Loose by CRC on there to see if I can free it up to move it easier. Does any body have any suggestions on how I can get this fixed? Any help would be well appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jared

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Disconnect both the shift and throttle cables at the outboard.
    With the outboard in neutral, manually advance the throttle connection to the carb
    and visually confirm the proper operation of the carb linkages
    and complete opening of the carb butterfly valve in the carb throat.
    Visually verify that the stator plate shifts position to match the throttle plate advance.
    If those are working properly and the linkages aren't jammed
    then something is wrong with your shifter and cables.
    Cables loosen, get out of adjustment, slip, change position and wear out.

3. jrod0785

Should it be that hard to move the lever (where the throttle linkage connects)? There is a small zerk fitting underneath the lever. Tried to pump grease into it, but would not take.

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Huh?  :-?

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/57405.cfm

It's been about 30 years since I had an Evinrude 35, and memory is getting blurry,
    but I think the zerk fitting is mounted on the shift lever casing.

5. jrod0785

Sorry Brett, it is confusing to type what I am talking about. On one side of the motor I have a shift linkage. And on the other side, I have a throttle linkage. A picture below is what I am talking about.
    [​IMG]

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

We're talking about a tiller assembly then, not a remote shifter?
    What year 'rude are we talking about?

7. jrod0785

Nope, it is a remote steering. I guess it could be set up for a tiller. It is a 1984 Evinrude. It was set up with stick steering when I bought it and I used it that way for about 5 years. That is the part I was telling you it was very hard to move, even by hand.

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Corrosion happens, disassemble, clean and lube is what I'd do.

9. jrod0785

Yeah I think that is what I am going to have to do. Dissconnect everything and pull that gear out and clean everything up. Thanks for the help Brett.

10. levip

levip I Love microskiff.com!

ok so i had this happen on my '56 15 hp evin rude ( the part is the same on it inside that base is a plastic sleeve that surrounds the pin i took the sleeve out and put some grease on the shaft and it works fine like that
    i guess if you wanted to keep that sleeve in there you could pull it apart and lightly sand the corrosion off of the shaft and the inside of the base that surrounds the sleeve and lube it up REALLY good and it would also work well