30hp tohatsu alarm ???

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by abrown0253, Sep 29, 2014.

1. abrown0253

abrown0253 I Love microskiff.com!

I just picked up a shadowcast 18 with a 2014 30hp tohatsu tiller. Engine seems to be running great and I'm stoked with the performance I'm getting. My problem is that the alarm has been going off and I can't figure out why. Doesn't ever happen while I'm running at high rpm's, but every time it has come on has been while idling after coming off plane, or at the dock waiting to trailer it. It's peeing fine and doesn't seem to be running hot at all. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be, and/or how I can get it to stop???

2. TwoKids

TwoKids Well-Known Member

First off, congrats on the new rig.  Post some pics over in the Braggin section.

My Tohatsu 30 had a problem right out of the box as well. Sounds to me like 1 of 2 things. Inadaquate Cooling at idle or a bad sensor.  Definately need to bring it in to a dealer cause you dont want to mess with overheats on that brand new motor.  It may not "seem" hot but it might still be running hot.  Is the stream strong at idle or is it weak? Is the stream pulling any heat out of the block, is the stream warm or cold?  Damaged impeller might not be circulating water good enough especially at low RPMs. -or- I've never had one but maybe a sticky T-Stat not staying open?

My overheat problem is documented at the following link. It may be a good read for you:
    http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1371334946/13

Please report back once you ID the issue.  Good luck.