Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

30hp MFS D Tohatsu

938 Views 25 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Zum
Trying to find some real numbers, likes, dis likes, comparisions on this new lighter motor.(either the 25/30hp)
I tried the search, not much luck but did see someone hooked up a data device(cant remember proper name) to one, so I know atleast one person is running one.
Any info or place I can be directed ?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,482 Posts
I wonder what the true weights are on the Yamaha 25 and the Tohatsu 30 with T/T in 15”. Yamaha states you can now get T/T on 15” models. Manufacturers always post the absolute lightest weight with no options. These are the only two motors I would consider. And would I definitely lean toward the Tohatsu.
During my search for a 25/30 tiller a few years ago on Marketplace and Craig’s List. I couldn’t help but notice all the Yamaha 25 parts motors. Wasn’t sure if there were so many because of their popularity. Or if there is an issue with their longevity. I ended up with a Tohatsu 30. And currently run a Tohatsu 50. And have never had a issue with either.
I think it’s pretty cool Tohatsu uses Gheenoes and other skiffs like Dragonfly in their marketing. They seem tuned into their customers. Most small outboards from others are on the back of a dingy.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
I believe my new boat is going to come with the new model. I've done a bit of reading on it but the only content I've really found has been from tohatsu. For a while the website listed both models but now only shows the mfs30d.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I believe my new boat is going to come with the new model. I've done a bit of reading on it but the only content I've really found has been from tohatsu. For a while the website listed both models but now only shows the mfs30d.
It took me a while to realize with any of their motors that the MFS30D is the latest iteration. Next will be the MFS30E. I'm slow on the uptake at times :LOL:

Visually, I like the C better. The lower unit on the D looks a little scrawny to me.

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

· Registered
1,574 Posts
I like that its a 3 cylinder. The variable idle speed is cool but I had the yamaha version of it and never really used it. Mostly I am just looking forward to a 30hp that only weighs 128lbs. It looks like they kept the same tiller arms which I think is a good thing. I also like having the option of a white motor.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I like that its a 3 cylinder. The variable idle speed is cool but I had the yamaha version of it and never really used it. Mostly I am just looking forward to a 30hp that only weighs 128lbs. It looks like they kept the same tiller arms which I think is a good thing. I also like having the option of a white motor.
I believe the nicer, multi function tiller arm is an option.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,803 Posts
The new Yammie 25 hp is awesome - my cousin got one and I ran it - snappy, great torque.
I have not run one but the people that I know that have claimed it’s a heavy turd with a terrible power/torque to weight ratio. One of them is Jack Foreman and the others are skiff builders. I might get a chance to see for my self soon. If you ran one and liked it maybe theh are wrong.

· Registered
343 Posts
I have not run one but the people that I know that have claimed it’s a heavy turd with a terrible power/torque to weight ratio. One of them is Jack Foreman and the others are skiff builders. I might get a chance to see for my self soon. If you ran one and liked it maybe theh are wrong.
I'd assume that those opinions are well out-dated; Yamaha has had the lightest 25hp four stroke on the market since 2017.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I'm still debating if I want to be the guinea pig or buy the C model(if there avaible).
I know that Tohatsu makes Mercury's outboards(30hp below) ...seen on their site its 500cc like the Tohatsu but the weight is heavier...always curious when they come out with new power plants...power wise and problems.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I'm still debating if I want to be the guinea pig or buy the C model(if there avaible).
I know that Tohatsu makes Mercury's outboards(30hp below) ...seen on their site its 500cc like the Tohatsu but the weight is heavier...always curious when they come out with new power plants...power wise and problems.
Dont remind me. You know what 500cc gets you in a 2 stroke outboard or dirt bike motor?

· Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,482 Posts
I'd assume that those opinions are well out-dated; Yamaha has had the lightest 25hp four stroke on the market since 2017.
Didn’t they just start offering T/T and electric start recently? I always thought that was one of the ways they kept the weight down. But yes they were/are the lightest stripped down. But how much does one of those hideous looking CMC tilt units weigh? I would just manually tilt the motor before putting that on. Especially on a $40k Eldora
Water Boat Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle

The Tohatsu is the same weight with electric start and T/T.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,803 Posts
Didn’t they just start offering T/T and electric start recently? I always thought that was one of the ways they kept the weight down. But yes they were/are the lightest stripped down. But how much does one of those hideous looking CMC tilt units weigh? I would just manually tilt the motor before putting that on. Especially on a $40k Eldora View attachment 229619
The Tohatsu is the same weight with electric start and T/T.
Sometimes I wonder about people. Maybe it was the customer’s idea.The customer is always right though and it’s his money!

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I believe the F25 has always been available with T&T but in a long shaft only?

Reactions: jonny
1 - 20 of 26 Posts