3 tand surgex pliers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GG34, Dec 3, 2017.

1. GG34

GG34 I Love microskiff.com!

Anybody using these pliers or heard anything about them? Their reels are well made and the price is good. Thanks.

2. bobber

bobber Well-Known Member

• Never heard of them so looked online - they appear to be one of the endless supply of Chinese aluminium pliers. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but check the details before buying unseen:
    • Length? Weight?
    • Does the holster only have a belt loop on back or does it have a clip that will work with beltless shorts?

• The lanyard looks to be the typical 6" China made, too short for me with a max reach of 36" . And it uses a splitring (stainless?) to attach to the pliers instead of brass or stainless clips at both ends.
    • Pliers themselves look ok but I prefer side cutters to rig with. The
    • Go to dancopliers.com to see a huge variety at good prices of you need pliers.

GG34 likes this.

3. GG34

Thanks. The Danco prodigy looks good at half the price of the 3 tand. Have you been happy with the quality?

4. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

I use a TReign retractable sheath and generic EBay pliers. Basically the same pliers pretty much everyone is shilling below $50. You can find decent aluminum pliers on EBay for around $15. I use them till the cutters wear out and then buy new ones which is about a full season for us. The last set I bought was around $10 and they are still going strong.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Fishing-Pliers/179997/bn_1958809

Fritz likes this.
  5. Finn Maccumhail

Finn Maccumhail I Love microskiff.com!

I have the 3-Tand pliers. They were a Christmas gift in 2015. I've found them to be pretty nice. They're lightweight and feel very strong/sturdy relative to their weight. The tolerances in the hinge are very tight and after a couple years of use there's no play in there like I've had with other inexpensive pliers. The sheath doesn't have a clip though, just the belt loop. The keeper cord is nothing special.

Smackdaddy53, GG34 and Backwater like this.
  6. Plantation

Plantation Well-Known Member

I also have the 3-tand pliers. It'll be a year that I've had them come January. They are very light and seem strong with no issues. They only gripe I have with them is that they are almost to thin in the handles for my hands. I've held pliers that just feel better/more secure in my hands. I'm 6'3" and have big hands so that might be a personal thing. They are much better than the typical Chinese ones I've owned in the past though. I also made a leather sheath for them because the one that comes with it is really cheap feeling.

GG34 likes this.
  7. GG34

Thanks for the inputs. They seen to be a good mid range plier. I do like 3 tand as a company.

8. bobber

bobber Well-Known Member

GG34 likes this.
  9. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

I have some stainless pliers but they won't cut braid. So I got some aluminium pliers that cut braid and they have a Velcro belt attachment and spiral cord to keep it from flying overboard
    Don't know where I got them and too lazy to go look for them

10. Hardluk81

Hardluk81 Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of Bubba Blade pliers about a year ago. Still going strong and cut braid like butter. They are $50 but I had a 20% off coupon.

11. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

Bubba Blade Pliers are basically expensive Danco pliers which is to say the same as pretty much every other China made plier. Most of these pliers are made in the same or similar factory in the same region. There really isn't much difference between them. I have played with a dozen different brands and they are all effectively the same just rebadged.

If you want a fancy version with a decent case, go to Danco and pick some up. My fishing buddy swears by the stainless steel line and I will probably switch to them once my current set wears out. Not a drop of rust on them and they have held up better than most. Danco can also engrave them if you like.

https://www.dancopliers.com/category-s/101.htm

12. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

Simms makes a nice set of pliers, I’m getting some soon. My buddy has a pair and loves them.

13. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

I've been using these for years, bought them used and no complaints other than they don't cut braid that well (I've never replaced the cutters).
    IMG_20171205_182824.jpg

14. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

use these for cutting braid, about 3 years old and sharp as a razor.
    IMG_20171205_184113.jpg

15. timogleason

timogleason I Love microskiff.com!

I like the Danco brand. They have great sales periodically if you are cheap like me and they also really give back to the community with various sales proceeds going 100% to different causes. Seems like a good crew to support.

16. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

I got the 3 Tand pliers and have not spent a lot of time with them yet. The only feedback so far is what @Plantation said - the handles are a bit thin for my hands. Not a deal break, but some additional bulk helps create a better grip.

I've bought less expensive versions but they don't hold up. The cutters fail too quickly.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  17. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

Even if the 3 tand use better cutters, you can buy a set of Danco and go through five sets of cutters and still be way ahead on price. I snip 20# braid and 30# leaders several times on each trip about once a week and get a year out "cheap" brands.

It isn't like there are dozens of factories making cutters for pliers. Most are sourced from the same place and interchangeable.

18. Finn Maccumhail

Finn Maccumhail I Love microskiff.com!

I'm 6'3" and have big hands as well and concur that they do feel a little small but not so much that it's been an issue for me though. Personal preference I guess. I do like that they're light so when they're on the belt I almost don't notice they're there.

19. bobber

bobber Well-Known Member

Whats the LOA on the 3-tands? My favorite Dancos are the 6.5" Showtimes, designed for fly,light tackle hooks. I have 3 sets of the 7.5" Admiral style that are for offshore, big hook use.

20. Zika

Zika I Love microskiff.com!

I've owned all the major brands at one time or another: Van Staal, Accurate, Donmar and Manley. I currently have a 7-inch set of Ross Pescadors that I found new on eBay from an estate sale and also a pair of Dancos that I received as a gift. Both will grip hooks tightly and cut 10# braid like a wet spaghetti noodle. It's all a question of budget and style preference. As others have pointed out, the cutters/anvil are mainly universal so they can be replaced periodically. With any of the aluminum pliers you have to be careful to rinse them and the holster down with fresh water after use and treat with a anti-corrosion spray or the salt will eat them up in no time.