Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am trying to find out what drive shaft to get, to replace the one in my 28L, so that I can make it into a standard, short shaft motor. I was told that the 28 only ever came as a long shaft, so it does not seem that I can simply order a 28 short shaft drive shaft, to replace it with. Any help advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so I have a 33 ski twin, from about 1966, do you think that might bolt up to the 28 powerhead?
I have herd that the 28 is a 30 powerhead with a 20 lower unit? or something like that. This makes matters confusing when figuring the splines on the shaft may be for 2 different motors top and bottom. IDK?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the 9.9 and 15 were the same, and the 18 and 25 were the same. and the 30, 33 and 35 were all the same too?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Look at the parts diagrams on shop. Evinrude.com--parts for the model years in question to see if the drive shafts are compatible. I believe the 28 has an older design for the lower unit with no thu prop exhaust. That older design lower unit can be found on the 25's from a few years earlier if you want to compare. I assume you would have to deal with the water line and shift shaft too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, I did a lot of digging around and seems yhat the 28 only ever came as a long shaft, it has an older style bottom which was used on latter commercial engines, but the top end is based on a 30. So the shaft is ....IDK, I decided to build a jack plate, and raise my motor up a few inches. should work just fine. a buddy I work with can tig weld so were gonna fab up a custom bracet.

·
Registered
2020 Salt Boatworks FRS-14
228 Posts
Where are you located? I have a half dozen or so OMC's from 9.5-30 collecting dust here in Central Texas you can try.

Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts