Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at one of these for my gheenoe lt25. I've got a really good price on one. Brand new 2020. Does anyone have any thoughts for reviews on these motors?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don’t think there are any junk motors out there.

I was just looking at those little Tohatsu’s and the dealer told me that Tohatsu switched to black paint because they were making the same motor for Mercury, hard to guess if this is true, but it seemed plausible. I just checked, the 25 Merc weighs 157 while the Tohatsu 158. And both are heavy. The 25 Yamaha is the only game if weight matters.

What’s a good price? I just paid $2,995 for a 25hp Yamaha, 15”, rope start. I think electric start will be four or five hundred more

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4k out the door for the MFS30CETS. (25 & 30 are the same block a d weight). Like you said, a 157 Pounds. This one is electric start and electric tilt / trim. 15" shaft.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No T&T available on the 15” Yamaha 25hp, so you would have to buy the CNC unit, which weighs about 20lbs and costs about six or eight hundred. The 25 Electric Yamaha weighs 132 and a 20 pound trim unit gets you right close to where your at weight wise and a bit more money, but not stupid, crazy more.

If I had to have T&T, likely I’d get the 30 instead of the 25, maybe peel the sticker off and swap for the smaller number, if you’re worried about limits.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Tohatsu 20 and a buddy has the 25. Both have been trouble free and I have been very happy with mine. He would say the same. Not the quietest 4 stroke but not what I would call loud. Most everyone I know that has a Tohatsu has been very happy with the decision.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 09 Nissan/Tohatsu 30 Tiller motor that I've been running since new (although admittedly it has low hours). It's been a good motor for what it is. SIPS fuel, runs smooth, quiet. Good power for a 4 stroke . Finish has held up well and the power tilt and trim has been reliable. Paid around $3K out the door for it back then as I recall. I remember the Mercury 30 (basically the same motor in black) and 25hp OMC Evotec were considerably more $ at the time. No regrets.
That said, I do have a couple of minor gripes :
First, it's a BEAR to pull start! Almost impossible for me really. Thank god for electric !
Second, the Power tilt/trim switch is on the left side , rear of the cowling. There is NO way your going to safely operate it under power. I had a remote rocker switch installed in the boat where it was comfortable to reach.
Third, like all 4 strokes, it's a heavy beast. Unlike my old 25 Merc 2 stroke (which had mucho torque!), I CANNOT man handle it off the hull at seasons end. Consequently, it winters outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts