25 Yamaha 2 Stroke No Spark

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by CurtisWright, Jan 8, 2013.

1. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

I have a 2000 Yamaha 2 stroke that has run flawlesly since I bought it  two years ago.  Last weekend it would not start.  Here is what I have done so far.

1. Disconnected the kill switch to check for short. Still no spark on either plug.  Checking by holding plug to the engine block and pull starting.
    2. Replaced plugs (just to be sure)
    3. Checked voltage at plug wires while starting. 0v at both cyl
    4. Checked voltage at coil packs. 0v at both coil packs
    5. Disconnected the CDI ignition system and checked voltage on all wires comming out from under the fly wheel.  0v on all wires.

I dont know how to re-time a motor so I dont want to take the fly wheel off to inspect the magneto and coils.  Is there anything else that I am missing?  has anyone had this problem before?

2. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

You can pull the fly wheel with out having to reset the timming.

To check the stator properly you need a cd77 but an ohm meter will allow you to do a short to ground test.

It's very uncommon for a electrical compent on a yamaha to go bad but if one does most of the time it is the stator from what I see.

3. CurtisWright

There are two stator windings in there though.  One for battery charging / lighting and the other for ignition.  how could they both have gone bad at the same time?

4. Creek Runner

My 1st thought would have been the kill switch but you said you by passed it. Next step would be to do both a voltage test from the stator leads and a short to ground. You can't do a voltage test because you need a cd77 or DVA adapter. Do the short to ground test, if it's shorted out then remove and replace.

What I would do is pay the 1 hour labor rate for a shop with the proper tools and know how to diagnosis it, then either buy the part yourself and install it or have them do it.

If you are in north Florida will diagnosis it for you, if you bring to to me.

5. CurtisWright

Thanks for your help Creek. I took it to a shop yesterday and they explained it to me. All my elecrrical componets are fine. I had a little gunk in the lower carb and they cleaned it out. (2hr charge) I was treating it like a lawnmower engine where you can see the spark. I am glad I paid them. I will have to get a peak voltage adapter now.

6. Creek Runner

I'm glad you got it fixed, just an FYI you can see the spark jump on outboards per the manual for your engine it's should jump a 1/8 inch gap.

Anywho very glad it was something simple and it's fixed get to fishing for lost time.