25 merc 2 stroke on a 14ft mitchell

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by SilentHunter, Jan 23, 2013.

1. SilentHunter

SilentHunter Resin Slinger

So i have a 14 foot mitchell style skiff. i was wondering what prop would suit me best while using a 1993 25 two stroke tiller mercury. i will be using a bobs manual jackplate.

"figure decks and floor with 2 people and a battery 6 gallllons of fuel and gear"

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

The prop thats already on it is probably going to be the one you wanna use

3. Rediculous

Rediculous Boozle on...

I have an 04 25 merc on my 14' johnson. It had like a 13p on it when I got it, and flew. A bit over 30mph. I put an 11p on it, and it does 28 fully loaded with 2 guys. I rarely go over 23mph, cause I rarely travel farther than 2 or 3 miles from any ramp. And it seems any time I'm cruising around at 30mph, I hit a freaking manatee.

4. SilentHunter

call thoes speedbumps around here.....

anyone els have experience?

5. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

13" pitch SS Vengeance is what I use on my Waterman 16'.. Perfect prop for my skiff and a 13" pitch should be money for your skiff.

6. SilentHunter

if i was to spend the money on a cupped ss prop. whats my best bet? i know everyone has there favorite... but whats the best bang for the buck

and is there an advantage to 4 blade vs 3?

cupped or not cupped?

i will be running manual jackplate with bobs machine tru tracker. trying to maximize my 25 on a 14 ft skiff. holeshot on such a small boat isnt important to me... top speed is nice but i would like the most speed with 2 anglers and gear. we run some distances down here ft pierce to hobesound

7. fennellaustin

fennellaustin gettin skinny

running an ss prop can be risky on a small skiff in shallow water. if you hit the bottom hard or a hard object it wont bend the prop ,it may damage the gears or shaft. they have no give and for a small skiff you wont see any more performace or benifits, just a harder hit on the wallet.