SOLD/EXPIRED 25 HP merc..how much are they worth?

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by snooknreds2, Aug 25, 2008.

1. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

How much is a 25 HP 2 stroke mercury worth to you?

After doing research i found them priced any where from 1,000- 2800 for 2002 and newer.  The book value for a 2004 is 1,400 but i know that because the lack of abundance they usually go worth more than that.  

So what do you guys think they are worth?

Also long shaft vs short shaft, how much does that effect their value? For the record i have already purchased a motor (2004 25  HP) and am just curious as to your guys view on this.

2. captnron

captnron Guest

2005 short shaft electric start with 14 hours. $2500.00

If it's not worth that to you, I'll keep it. ;)

3. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Why do these motors bring such a high resale? Are they lighter than most? Or are they "underrated" HP-wise?

-T

4. captnron

captnron Guest

All in one tiller F/N/R so you can use an extension and don't have to reach back.

Average 114lbs compared to the approx 160 lbs 4 strokes

And yes they are underrated. ;) I've been told by the Merc. Tech that they routinely put out 33 hp. ;)

5. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

theres some "black" factor to them in the sense they're pretty ballzy for a 25hp. But I think the gearshift in the tiller is what made them famous, other than the plethora of captnron praises of course. :)

6. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

114 lbs

all in one tiller

2-stoke fast

over ten mpg on my boat

whats not to like...

7. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

ok ron, I guess you type faster than me....

8. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Classic Merc 2 Smoker 25... best motor I ever blew up! :D ;D

9. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

I've seen a ton of these lately setup as remote motors. Can a remote model be converted to tiller? If so, what does it generally cost?

-T

10. captnron

captnron Guest

Guess I'm not far off on the value. Motor is SOLD! ;)

Yes you can convert to tiller. You can find tiller assy on e-bay.

11. stickwaver

stickwaver Hammer in my hand still pounding on a screw

Mercury- #1 on the water!!! I love my Merc. I don't think I can buy anything else. Plus I love 2 smokes. Light, Fast, Simple. Whats not to love?

12. snooknreds2

So does the long vs short shaft make a huge differance in the resale value?

The one I got is a 2004 merc, electric start, long shaft and no tiller set up for remote, except i am missing the cable and helm so if any one has one???? ;D

I paid $500 plus a 2000 5 Hp 4 stroke.  both motors are in great condition.  so my total was $700 (i only paid 200 for the 5 hp), I am thinking that i got the deal of a life time.... (almost deserves a post in the bragging section was my thought) Am I right or because i have no tiller and a long shaft is it only worth a little bit more than that?

Also I have another question.  The motor seams to take a while to piss, is that because there a thermostat or do i need to change the impeller?  actually i probably should anyways huh?

13. EATME

EATME Guest

I have A Merc. 25 for sale for $2500.00...I think is worth every penny!!

14. DND

DND Well-Known Member

OK, it seems the 25 two strokes are popular but has anyone out ther have experience with a 20hp merc 2 stroke. Just picked up a 14' Monark J-boat with clean 1996 20hp for 650.00$.

15. captnron

captnron Guest

Good find. :cool: 20 shares most of the common parts of the 25. ;)

16. snooknreds2

17. captnron

captnron Guest

You act like this is your thread or something. ;D ;D ;D

It depends. IMHO the short shaft is worth more because it fits more boats especially in it's era. Typically boats the were 20 inch transom it was minimum power to sell boats and you will find that the person upgraded power hence the used market for long shaft. Again, just my opinion.

OK, so you have $700 in it. Have you run a compression test and / or bore scoped it, or just run it? Could be ragged , could be good. The cables and control you need run about $350 so now your up to $1050. By the time you add a helm, probably $300 to $500 depending on what you decide on, your at $1350 to $1550. Still a good deal if it's a decent motor and your boat requires a long shaft. If your hull was built for a short shaft, then add $400 to $1000 to make your motor work. Now we're at $1750 to $2550 and within the price range of a really nice 25 HP 2 smoke tiller.

None of this effects the value of the 25 hp 2 stoke Mercs. You may have gotten an exceptional deal - one in a lifetime, but these are tough times and everybody is selling well below value. "Eatme" has a nice 25 hp Merc 2 smoke for sale for $2500. A year ago, that would not have last 1 day on this forum. I sold mine in a couple of hours after my post on this thread because the person knew me and wanted it. A year ago I was offered $5000 for a NIB 25hp 2 smoke electric start short shaft tiller. Probably should have taken it, but it's the last one. ;)

Yes, unlike the 9.9 and 15, the 25 takes a few to warm up and the thermostat to open. Try taking it to a spring fed river in the winter if you really want to freak out. You will find that it opens quicker in warm salt water. ;)

The only downside to changing the impeller / water pump and / or the thermostat is if it's reassembled incorrectly. I always replace when in doubt. Again, just MHO.

18. snooknreds2

ok cool thanks for the reply cap ron. that is kinda what i figured.  I saw all these $2500 motors and figured i got a great deal, but not something to throw a party over (although i felt that way when i drove away with my new motor)  thanks for the info

to answer some of your questions.
    Yes i ran compression check and both cylinders where right on point
    cracked the lower unit plug and no milky-ness there
    The deal came with  shift and throttle controls, a little old LOOKING, but from what i can tell they should last for a while before needing to be replaced
    as far as the helm i have done some research and i THINK i can get one for around $150 with the cable.  When i bought the motor it came with the steering rod on the motor so that should be all i need, plus a steering wheel but one forum member has offered to donate one to me, that would be stellar if they still want to hook it up
    My hull is being built by me and was the transom height is perfect for a 20" so i am good there.

I have some updated pics of my project i just have not had the time to get them off my camera.  When i do i will also get the pics i have of the motor.

P.S.  the thread belongs to everyone ;D

19. snooknreds2

pictures of my motor are on the thread of my project build in the bragging section

20. snooknreds2

so say short shaft 2000 or newer electric start...

Minimum of $2500 assuming its in good condition with minimal hours??

does that sound about right?