Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

22 panga build

2020 32
I will try and keep this updated throughout the build. Right now I’m in the parts collecting phase while I wait another week or two for the hull to show up.

Decided to get out of the skiff world for a few years to have a more family friendly boat and some more fishing opportunities offshore.

Goal is to save weight where possible in the hope that I can still pole it from time to time in calm waters and also fish it 10-20 miles off the beach.

Decided to build my own based on the fact the Panga marine hulls seem drastically heavier than their South American counterparts and kinda go against some of the things that make this design great.

Also really tired of working on skiffs where it seems repair and maintenance come way behind the looks so I will be trying to make a much more friendly boat to work on when needed.

Planned specs:
W-22 Mexican imemsa hull build
Center console
Raised front deck
Rear guide boxes with removable livewell /center seat
90 hp Suzuki 4 stroke
36v rhodan 84” with front and rear power pux

Core will likely be a mix between carbon core and coosa in areas where beneficial.

The general layup will likely be 1708 with a thin layer of csm applied on top of it to speed up fairing.

Wheel Window Tire Plant Automotive tire
Window Building Plant Tree Grass
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Well supposedly its finally shipping from Mexico this Friday so hopefully get it home next week sometime. Then the fun begins.

Pretty boring stuff going on lately just collecting parts.

Today i decided to rip the bandaid off and order the lithium's for the trolling motor setup. I had it narrowed down to Ionic, Amped outdoors, and lithium pro's. I was leaning towards amped due to the extra 10 AH per battery, but while surfing prices today I noticed Lithium Pro's dropped their 12v 50AH almost $200 to a price of $278 a piece with free shipping so I went ahead and picked up 3 of them to create my 36V bank. Hopefully they work out and they will save about 60 lbs over my old group 27 lead acids. Still going to use a lead acid for my starting battery though.

Do you mind me asking how/where you had the boat shipped? I have a 16’ panga on Isla Holbox that I would ship back to anywhere in the states if I could. Thanks.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Boat was pick up as imemsa factory in Mexico then will be delivered to Mississippi. I’m buying through and importer that order direct from manufacturer. So probably not much help for you. Post a question in the general discussion section as I know of at least two members who have shipped boats to Mexico.

To be honest I’m not sure I would go this route again as it’s been kinda a mess. My boat was originally supposed to get here 2-3 weeks early, then was delayed and is now about 1.5 months late. It has been stuck in customs for like 2 plus weeks and is supposed to be shipped today.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well let’s get this thing rolling.

Custom trailer worked out great so far with regards to how low boat sits on it. Alot of the panga trailers I have seen have the boat Sit above the trailer fenderwell so I had them make the trailer a little wider with different cross braces.

Sits well inside the fenderwell.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Began mocking up a console today to get rough dimensions and see how much room I need for my batteries and steering/rigging.

I will build cardboard interior pieces next to get a better feel for dimensions and wether I can put a cap on it.

I will likely build a plywood console next so I can have motor installed to drive it some
and see where hull wants the weight.
Plant Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Wood Tree

Boat Tire Wheel Plant Watercraft

Plant Motor vehicle Tree Automotive tire Automotive design

Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Plate

Plant Road surface Automotive tire Wood Gas

· Registered
2005 East Cape Gladesman. 2005 Panga Marine 22.
6,349 Posts
Began mocking up a console today to get rough dimensions and see how much room I need for my batteries and steering/rigging.

I will build cardboard interior pieces next to get a better feel for dimensions and wether I can put a cap on it.

I will likely build a plywood console next so I can have motor installed to drive it some
and see where hull wants the weight. View attachment 224001
View attachment 224002
View attachment 224000
View attachment 223999
View attachment 223998
I know these things run with minimal power but I don't think she'll plane with that power jk. Looks awesome you'll love the Panga I've had one about a year.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got my canopy put up over boat to attempt to keep leaves and water out had to use another tarp to cover bow as I couldn’t find a 22-24’ canopy without spending a fortune. Also added two harborfreight led shop lights and a couple power strips.

While readjusting trainer bunks to get them right I noticed the quality employees in Mexico didn’t even worry about installing the drain plug in the center so that a little annoying.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Bumper

Automotive design Gas Symmetry Space Asphalt

Boat Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

View attachment 224344

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So next question for the fiberglass pro’s. The stringer grid is super beefy but it isn’t level there are high spots and low spots in quite a

For small spots I will probably grind down stringers a little and add thickened resin to smaller lows.

So I assume the right way to address the larger lows before putting a floor in it I need to grind off thefactory gelcoat and add some more glass layers to it to get it near flat.
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rectangle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Rectangle

· Registered
2,973 Posts
I'll let others chime in, but I'd be tempted to use thickened resin with some mini fibers and build it up. It's just going to have downward forces on it.

· I Love microskiff.com!
179 Posts
I’ve got a new center console with a built-in livewell/cooler that I bought from Panga. I’m no longer using it for my project and it may be a good fit for yours. I’m in Florida though… so shipping would probably be a bear.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts