Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

22 panga build

4448 Views 55 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  texasag07
I will try and keep this updated throughout the build. Right now I’m in the parts collecting phase while I wait another week or two for the hull to show up.

Decided to get out of the skiff world for a few years to have a more family friendly boat and some more fishing opportunities offshore.

Goal is to save weight where possible in the hope that I can still pole it from time to time in calm waters and also fish it 10-20 miles off the beach.

Decided to build my own based on the fact the Panga marine hulls seem drastically heavier than their South American counterparts and kinda go against some of the things that make this design great.

Also really tired of working on skiffs where it seems repair and maintenance come way behind the looks so I will be trying to make a much more friendly boat to work on when needed.

Planned specs:
W-22 Mexican imemsa hull build
Center console
Raised front deck
Rear guide boxes with removable livewell /center seat
90 hp Suzuki 4 stroke
36v rhodan 84” with front and rear power pux

Core will likely be a mix between carbon core and coosa in areas where beneficial.

The general layup will likely be 1708 with a thin layer of csm applied on top of it to speed up fairing.

Wheel Window Tire Plant Automotive tire
Window Building Plant Tree Grass
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,794 Posts
You expected lighter? Amped outdoors is around 14 I think. So on the heavy side for lithium but exponentially lighter than lead acid and has a much smaller footprint which is what I wanted to minimize center console width.
Yes I expected lighter for that AH but 19 pounds is definitely much lighter than the alternatives. That hull will eat that little bit no problem. Looking forward to this!

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,794 Posts
So electrical is one of my weaker areas in this process. Can you all take a look at my trolling motor wiring diagram and give a thumbs up or down.

The main question I have is can I use a 3 position battery cutoff switch to send power to either the front or the rear power pux mount and turn it off for charging the batteries. Typically you have a battery attached to each one of the lugs on a 3 position battery switch then a single output going to your equipment, but I want to use it in reverse so that I can simplify my system and only use one 50 amp breaker for the whole system. Does the battery cutoff switch care which way I send power?

I will have 3-12v lithium's in the center console power a 36v Rhodan, and I will have a power pux mount on the front and rear of the boat. I want to be able to isolate which pux has power and also be able to turn a knob and kill power to both pux so I can charge the batteries without damaging the trolling motor. View attachment 225793
I am not an electrician by any means so I’m not sure but an easy way to charge your batteries and not remove the trolling motor is just remove the pins and slide the power pux forward just enough to disconect it while charging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts