20K $$ to spend on a 17 foot boat.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LoneRanger, Feb 27, 2007.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Temporarily Boatless

20K to spend on a 17 foot boat, what boat do you get?

my buddy is looking at a Kenner 180VX . Its the fishing boat, not the one with a liner. he is going to buy a tunnel hull and equip it with  a jackplate for the 90 horse merc optimax. he plans to buy before march 31st cause the optimax comes with a 5 year warranty vrs the standard 3 year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thoughts? any other boats he should be looking at? the kenner hull has a lifetime warranty on the hull (stringers and transome)

he wants a multi purpose boat that can do inshore and light offshore.

discuss- thoughts are much appreciated.

L.R.  :cool:

2. whitesnook

whitesnook Guest

Kenner boats sucks!!!!!!!!!! Too light craftmanship in a hurry. Many customers rejected kenner boats because the boat don't work right. Get a mako, keylargo, key west, cape craft, and palm beach because I have a 18ft center console keylargo offshore boat (I know it's made of wood) but I beat the crap out of my boat out in the ocean. I don't see any sighs of cracks or anything. This keylargo boat kept me really well. Best of all, I have a life time warrenty on this boat. U can get a 18ft bay keylargo tunnel hull with 90hp marcury for 12,500.00 in deland, florida. Just my 2 cents dooooo. I have been running boats all my life. My family runs business of storge boats and boat yards.

3. LoneRanger

whitesnook, it may intrest you to know then that the 17 foot mako hull is identical to the kenner hull and is infact manufactured at the same facility- the first 3 letters of every new mako begins with KENN (kenner).
    If you really know where he can get a new 18 foot keylargo tunnel with a 90 merc opti for 12,500 please do tell. he has roughly 30 days to make his purchase as to not loose out on the 2,500.00 +2 year warranty for the merc motor.

L.R. :cool:

4. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

Yes i believe Mako is a Kenner

I believe the story is Mr. Kenner has a new boat line out but i cannot remember what it is called. I thought he sold off everyhting to BPS and then later started a new boat line but i could be wrong.

ok i remembered, its Blackjack boats.

5. whitesnook

whitesnook Guest

Yes, kenner boat signed a contract with a mako boat to identifical the same hull but look again the quality, craftmanship, and materials are pretty much different between mako and kennier. I know kennier boat cost cheaper then mako but look at the construction stringer and fiberglass materials, so u can figure it out yourself. I choose mako over kennier for craftsmanship and quality materials.

Keylargo 18ft tunnel hull, I have tried to contact him but he is not there but will try again tomorrow

6. jmarkklock

jmarkklock Well-Known Member

What dealer in Deland is running this special? I might buy one for resale

7. LoneRanger

my thoughts exactly. ;)

8. LoneRanger

capecraft and keylargo are one in the same. kenner and mako are one in the same. chevy and gmc are one in the same.

does anyone have any real world knowlege about the best (in there opinion) 18 foot boat NEW for under 20K tax, tag, and title?

L.R. ::)

9. captnron

captnron Guest

LR,

If this is the boat he really thinks he wants, post the specifiic boat on "The Hull Truth" and just sit back and wait. I will never buy a boat I'm unsure of without checking there first. The FS forum should give you an eye full too. :eek:

This is just MHO but if it's owned by BPS - RUN AWAY. BPS has taken perfectly good boats and screwed them up. Too bad, I used to love Mako's and Sea Craft's. Read the forums - CS has been reported to be almost nonexistent. It depends on the dealer though, so check the dealer out too.

If you list the criteria, maybe we can point you to some other options to look at.

If you are after the tunnel you may need to research locally built boats in TX. ;)

Just my .0000000000000002 sense.

Good luck in your search. You should be able to find something in that range.

10. jmarkklock

jmarkklock Well-Known Member

LR
    I bought a 2006 Carolina Skiff 198 DLV last spring at the Jax Boat Show (from Dell Marine).  It is 18' 11. It has more V in the front than the other CS's.  It has a 90 hp 4 stroke Yamaha (It will do about 40 wot).  It is rated for 115hp but to to get the boat show deal I took the 90hp that was on it.  I got it with a 80# thrust motor guide saltwater tm and a Lowrance GPS/Sonar and an aluminum trailer for under 19k out the door.  It's not flats boat but it will float in 10 inches of water. (I also have a Gheenoe for skinny water).  I fish the Jetties a lot with it and have had it 20 miles off shore on calm days.  The gunnels are 26" high and they are rolled.  It's pretty dry riding and takes a chop fairly well. For a multipurpose boat, I could not be more happy with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://carolinaskiff.com/index2.htm

Mark

11. LoneRanger

thats good info !

I feel like telling him to get a gheenoe classic (3 bench seat) for the skinny stuff just use a 15hp tiller and get a true bay/ small offshore boat! I wonder how the sea chaser rides?

12. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

he should be able to find a used pathfinder 1810 or 1900 bay boat. is new an absolute requirement?

13. whitesnook

whitesnook Guest

I'm selling my key largo for $10,000.00. Bought $18,500.00 new. I just don't use it much, been sitting in the storge most of the time ever since brand new boat.

Look at misc section to look at 2002 keylargo if he want.

BTW, the brand new 18ft KL tunnel for 12500, it went up back to 16900. No more "special or $5000 rebate" unless he pose it again.

14. LoneRanger

16,900 isnt bad, where is that?'

15. whitesnook

whitesnook Guest

1/4 mile pass hwy 44 bridge in St. Johns River. There is small keylargo place

16. LoneRanger

so its a brand new boat at a dealer for that price?

that seems realy reasonable!

L.R. :eek:

17. whitesnook

whitesnook Guest

Yeah, that's wut they said. U can look up the keylargo sportfishing boat in the internet for dealerships. I never had any plm with my boat and the only plm I have is getting on plane too long due the boat is sooo heavy. The trim tabs is only way to go for my boat.

18. thresher

thresher Well-Known Member

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/4/86925714.htm :'( :'( :'(
    [​IMG]

19. LoneRanger

no way can i reccomend that to him- 24K for a 16 foot whipray? bad arsed boat for sure but he wants something he can go kingfishing with!

I am seriously researching seachaser (by carolina skiff)

L.R.