Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice Rob! Gonna be a beauty. What colors you going with? CC or side? Engine? We need some details!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Not at all. I think it’s a great project and appreciate the work. I would just go one step further making a mold and then producing an entirely composite hull.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not at all. I think it’s a great project and appreciate the work. I would just go one step further making a mold and then producing an entirely composite hull.
The boats made in molds still have foam cores. Not sure what you mean by a composite hull? The reason for the mold is to make multiple boats and not having to fair each one individually. It is easier to make a boat from a mold and you have gel coat not paint when finished. Unless infusing you are not even guaranteed a lite or even layup. I have rode in old chopper gun built boats from molds that wouldn't track strait because of uneven weight.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Correct. And nothing else but resin and glass of some sort. By composite I meant no screws, wood, gorilla glue, hot glue and tons of glop to get the shape close. I cringe at some of the home built boats. Sorry, just my opinion. There are some really nice ones. There is one for sale on here that looks well built.

·
Registered
290 Posts
What I mean is there is a foam core in even those boats, they are scored or have holes in the foam for the resin to flow through to impregnate the core.
In the home builds there arent screws, any mechanical fasteners are removed. And as for gorilla glue it is a polyurethane base, the same as the foam.
The word composite in these terms is meaning the glass and cores used. No wood. If it is just glass and resin that would be an old design by far...
Not trying to sway your thinking about home builds just trying to help you understand that the boats in molds are using the same materials just from an inside instead of being built on the outside of the mold or stations. Again giving you a smoother finished part once removed. That is why the guys are making molds for the caps so it doesnt require as much fairing.

Hope that makes since, Michael
Not all mold-made bolts have cored hulls, unless you are only referencing the Skiff industry?
Unless it is an older style boat. Just a resin and glass hill is either gonna need extra glass and being heavy or an oil canning affect if it doesnt have a liner. I would not want a boat without some sort of core or sorric sheet

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry to get sidetracked on your thread. Your tide is gonna be amazing. It is already a work of art. One suggestion; you might want to have the builders who touch the boat sign the inside of the front hatch. Seen that on one just out of the shop. Very nice touch. Hope you catch many fish and enjoy everyday on your new skiff! Thanks, Michael

1 - 20 of 39 Posts