Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured this would have been started already, but perhaps I'm missing it.

- Thoughts on the film(s) this year?

The guys "hosting" annoyed me a bit at first, but I warmed up to them more toward the end. Got concerned about the films being to preachy (or depressing) after first one or two, but that seemed to subside. I'm all for preserving our fisheries and consider myself a conservationist, but there's a point where a film can become overbearing with that and just be depressing to watch: think it's nice to find a mix of good cinema while still alluding to issues. Or perhaps even save all the conservation stuff to a segment at the end, which also provides links for the various charities. Ya know, hook me with the sweet movies, then get me all sentimental at the end and ask for my money (a la Sara McLauchlin animal ads). The intermission format surprised me a bit, and took away from the momentum-- if people are streaming at home, really no need for an intermission, but no big deal. Also, pretty stellar raffle!

My favorite was either the Bonefish/MLK one or the Tarpon one toward the end. Runner up probably the one where the group of dudes go to that island off Fiji. Sorry, don't remember the specific names of the films, but thought all in all, a pretty solid year for the F3T.

Curious to hear other's thoughts!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2021 HB Professional Tunnel
531 Posts
It was ok. Kinda the same feelings as you described.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,481 Posts
Bought a family pass, looking forward to watching it with the crew when I finally get off night shift. If it gets slow, we'll add more bourbon until it gets back to the good stuff.

·
Registered
459 Posts
What's the language rating here? R, PG, G?

Not that I give two F's but if my non teen kids are watching I'd like to know.

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
749 Posts
If you buy the streaming pass do you have to watch it in order and in one sitting, or can you jump around and watch them in whatever order you want? I want to buy the family pass for the boy and I, but I doubt we'd have the time or attention span to watch them all at once. Also, what's the total run time?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you buy the streaming pass do you have to watch it in order and in one sitting, or can you jump around and watch them in whatever order you want? I want to buy the family pass for the boy and I, but I doubt we'd have the time or attention span to watch them all at once. Also, what's the total run time?
it runs a shade over two hours. Unsure of the answer to your other question, but I did at least pause it, went to grab dinner, and picked up where I left off.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Personally, this is an in person thing for me - I went to the event here in Austin to see other anglers I don't get to see often and also pull a Brett Kavanaugh to drink a lot of beer with my buddies. The after parties were always fun.

I agree with @texican08 - you can't get enough p00n. The years where there was a lot of salt were always the best.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
What are the dates where you can buy tickets and then be allowed to watch? It's a shame we still aren't doing this in person yet! Stupid.

Reactions: TheFrequentFlier

·
Registered
525 Posts
The guys "hosting" annoyed me a bit at first, but I warmed up to them more toward the end.
The goofball co-host Ben is a good friend of mine, he's fished with me a lot, and reciprocated with trout fishing in Colorado. He's kinda like that in person too, a little annoying at first but you get used to him after a while. Solid dude, he's had much success with his Youtube channel "Huge Flyfisherman"

Once you get your pass you can pretty much watch it at will through April 4th. I watched it through, then have gone back and re-watched parts of it.

·
will pole for food
958 Posts
Despite not caring about coldwater much, I really enjoyed all of the films. Sadly, most of the themes were about declining fisheries..but maybe the increased awareness will bring about positive change in the future. The Russian segment was cool too, as I always like a happy ending.

The tarpon film about Mac was by far my favorite.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
234 Posts
Personally, this is an in person thing for me - I went to the event here in Austin to see other anglers I don't get to see often and also pull a Brett Kavanaugh to drink a lot of beer with my buddies. The after parties were always fun.

I agree with @texican08 - you can't get enough p00n. The years where there was a lot of salt were always the best.
It’s usually one of the 2 times I socialize a year with the general public....... it’s weird watching it at home and not talking shit.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,208 Posts
I agree it’s weird without half the audience talking shit about the films while drinking copious amounts of beer or whiskey.

last year we had 4 of my closest buddies over and we watched it, I had technical difficulties streaming it and they ate wings and talked shit at me while I got it working. Then we heckled all the films and said yeah those movies stunk except for one or two. So similar experiences but not quite the same.

I hope to do that this year, even though I will fast forward through the commentary as I’m not a huge fly fisherman fan.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,208 Posts
Watched it tonight with the wife, video’s were better than usual I felt and the format they did it worked better.

Huge flyfisherman wasn’t as huge as usual so I will eat my words there. Thanks to everyone in involved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts