Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I know a lot about falling, but generally only down stairs with a sudden stop hitting pilings with my head, so I get it.

Was unaware of Boeshield, thanks for the tip. I've only had two boats that I used in saltwater, the Glide I had last year for a few months which got washed down after every trip, and decades ago a Stratus Bay boat that was sponsored so I only had it for a year. So certainly I'm a newbie to maintaining a boat used in the salt all the time. Any/all advice is greatly appreciated.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,171 Posts
Congrats, she looks great. Look forward to hearing more about her performance when you get her out on the water.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So I found out my EVO was two timing me at the Ritz Carlton today with a sweet looking Caimen. I've never even stayed at a Ritz Carlton! What kind of precedent is this setting for our future relationship? She sure is a dusie!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a '19 EVO, they were just doing some work for me. For sure once you get to the next size engine block from the 60/70 I think the 115 is a no brainer. I went with a little ol 60 though lol. I keep telling myself I want more speed but Im not sure. I rode on my buddies beavertail with a 115 and its a little much!

I keep a cooler on top of my live well now and I use it to step down off the platform. Well I ate #($* getting on it a few weeks back and now Im think about having them weld up something like yours, hence why Ill be checking it out.

You will see when you pick it up, you end up wandering around the shop checking out other peoples builds. Its always cool to see what people come up with.
On a past build I saw where EC had fabbed up a small step platform, kind of like a front casting platform, for an easy quick step up onto the poling platform. I recall the Owner commenting that it was one of the most liked features of his skiff; Kevin would have pictures...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there,
I went to the ritz event, you got a great looking boat! I attached a few more shots of your rig with mine behind it :D. You’re going to love the step, it’s a game changer!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks for the pics! Yours is a sweet looking rig as well. Actually doing a step up casting platform as well. In Orlando now headed to East Cape to see it in person for the first time and confirm a few things.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So here is what she looks like now. Still to add are cup holders on the front seat and a drivers lean bar. Doing the standup console was a great idea, got to test it out today running a tight, twisty channel in the marsh. Yesterday got to run it in 1.5' chop, smooth and dry. Top speed so far is 52mph, one direction, without fiddling with the jack plate, 6150rpm. But it's a bit slower now after deviating a couple of feet off line today and running the prop through somer oysters. Gotta get a file tomorrow and clean it up a little. Hey, I build it to be a redfish boat.

I'm thinking I may try a shaw wing cav plate as I can't run the jack plate very high without the prop blowing out. Awesome boat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Saw your comment about the cavitation plate. I've got a 2020 EVOX. The standard 16 pitch PowerTech blows out before I get the jack plate up, but I've got two Foreman heavy cupped props, a 13 and a 14.5 pitch, that never cavitate or blow out. I'd suggest trying a heavy cupped custom prop before going the cavitation plate route. I wish I'd put one on my skiff years ago!

Great looking skiff you've got! Well done.

Ward

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Saw your comment about the cavitation plate. I've got a 2020 EVOX. The standard 16 pitch PowerTech blows out before I get the jack plate up, but I've got two Foreman heavy cupped props, a 13 and a 14.5 pitch, that never cavitate or blow out. I'd suggest trying a heavy cupped custom prop before going the cavitation plate route. I wish I'd put one on my skiff years ago!

Great looking skiff you've got! Well done.

Ward
Thanks Ward I'll give Jack a call.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on the boat!!! I have been waiting to see a Evo build with the console and seat as you did it. Love that look on all the boats they have built. Happy to finally see it in a Evo.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Congrats on the boat!!! I have been waiting to see a Evo build with the console and seat as you did it. Love that look on all the boats they have built. Happy to finally see it in a Evo.
Thanks, I as well love the "look". And my "passenger" loves riding in the seat, comfortable and secure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I as well love the "look". And my "passenger" loves riding in the seat, comfortable and secure.
Does the setup add or substract weight as compared to a "normal" center console setup or is it about the same? Also, have you had a chance to get a real world draft on the boat?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Does the setup add or substract weight as compared to a "normal" center console setup or is it about the same? Also, have you had a chance to get a real world draft on the boat?
Sorry but don't know the difference in weight- maybe Kevin can weigh in if he reads this. I built the boat light in areas I could, such as all Kevlar, cut out buckets, Lithium battery, Micro Powerpole, Atlas Jackplate, knowing I'd add some weight with the extra platform in the front, the step up in the back, the bigger motor, dual bildge pumps.

Don't know what it drafts yet. The 8' power pole disappears into the mud without ever hitting bottom. I disinclined to step out of the boat. ;-)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Had a great conversation with Jack Foreman yesterday. He's gonna work up a "marsh" propellor for my EVO. I'm looking to be able to go higher with the jack plate, not slide in the turns, and lift the transom on takeoff. Gonna be interesting working up a prop. I'll loose a fair amount of top-end but I'm fine with that.

The welders finished the drivers lean bar/seat so its off to upholstery now. Really looking forward to getting this on the boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,373 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your skiff. Should be quite the get together of East Capes.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts