Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the new EVO V. I went with this because my primary fishing water will be the Louisiana Marsh and I don't need a super shallow boat, but I will have 30 minute runs to make (and an occasional hour run) and I want them comfortable. Here is one of the latest pics I have. It is now sitting on a trailer but still waiting on the motor. It won't be a Microskiff (115hp) but ASM. (All Skiffs Matter). ;-) You'll notice two others EVOs next to mine, those are the guys in front of me, another V and a X.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Great looking boat. I would request a Bob’s jackplate for such a nice new skiff, those Atlas Microjackers are unreliable and the performance is sub par compared to a USA made Bob’s. Faster, smoother and much more solid.
I spent a ton of time looking at that very topic when I had my boat built. Went with the microjacker on the recommendation of the production manager. He went into detail on the issue that they HAD been having and corrected. No issues with mine at all.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,028 Posts
I spent a ton of time looking at that very topic when I had my boat built. Went with the microjacker on the recommendation of the production manager. He went into detail on the issue that they HAD been having and corrected. No issues with mine at all.
They moved the ram to the center, use a more powerful motor, fixed the slop in the slide washers and make them in the USA now? The only thing they have going for them is weight. Just my opinion, doesn’t count for much.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
They moved the ram to the center, use a more powerful motor, fixed the slop in the slide washers and make them in the USA now? The only thing they have going for them is weight. Just my opinion, doesn’t count for much.
In the order you listed: No, yes, no, yes, yes. But you missed one. Less cost. LOL

But really what was the point of your post in the first place? Its already got a microjacker on it so he's not going to change it. If you are alerting others that you think Bob's are better than perhaps a separate thread would be more appropriate than a negative on a guys new boat.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,028 Posts
In the order you listed: No, yes, no, yes, yes. But you missed one. Less cost. LOL

But really what was the point of your post in the first place? Its already got a microjacker on it so he's not going to change it. If you are alerting others that you think Bob's are better than perhaps a separate thread would be more appropriate than a negative on a guys new boat.
Because this is a discussion forum. Mind your business.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,370 Posts
This is the new EVO V. I went with this because my primary fishing water will be the Louisiana Marsh and I don't need a super shallow boat, but I will have 30 minute runs to make (and an occasional hour run) and I want them comfortable. Here is one of the latest pics I have. It is now sitting on a trailer but still waiting on the motor. It won't be a Microskiff (115hp) but ASM. (All Skiffs Matter). ;-) You'll notice two others EVOs next to mine, those are the guys in front of me, another V and a X.

View attachment 159150
The grey boat on the far right of the picture is my EVOx. Should be ready next week.
Keep posting pics of your V as you can. Its' going to be super pimp.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
995 Posts
Great looking boat. I would request a Bob’s jackplate for such a nice new skiff, those Atlas Microjackers are unreliable and the performance is sub par compared to a USA made Bob’s. Faster, smoother and much more solid.
My personal experience with the Atlas is that it's superior the Bob's. And, IIRC, the Atlas are made in the USA.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I believe the keel guard is Line-X. As far as the color of the boat we went round and round and round. Watched every single East Cape video at least 10 times (I'm not exaggerating) not only for color but also for features we'd like. One day we were driving along the beach near Galveston and spotted a beach house whose color we really liked. Took some pictures and sent them to Kevin. He sent us to our local paint store to pick out a color chit to send to him since colors on different computer monitors can look different. He then mixed up the color and the result we love.

Customizing the boat the way we wanted was a big task. Again notes from videos, looking at competitor boats, fishing out of different brands - what works what doesn't. I'm 65 so I needed to take the next 20 years of aging into consideration and did so with the design of the front and back platforms- very excited to see how they turn out.

I wanted to save weight everywhere we could while at the same time having some creature comforts for our "mission" (like the 115hp).

Went with a kevlar build because: 1. I can, 2. Save some weight, 3. I've had kevlar boats in the past and really like the feel and sound on the water.

Had all the buckets cut out (weight savings) but have drop-in buckets in case I decide a storage area needs one.

Two bilge pumps (adds weight but also piece of mind- personal experience)

Insulated livewell but not plumbed except for drain. (weight savings- not a tournament fisherman and wait for it....I don't eat fish...shrimp crab lobster yes but not fish- so it will be our cooler).

24v Lithium battery for troll motor (weight savings) and 12v AGM for house battery (engine warranty reasons).

Center console will be a Blackfly style (cause I love the look and plan on doing almost all standup/lean driving) but I narrowed it a bit to a 1 1/2 person width. Allow more walk around room and don't plan on having more than two people in the boat. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Mounted on top will be my 12" Simrad and an inReach Mini (they make a mounting bracket for it). I know first hand how hard it is to find someone- that will never be a problem for us.

·
Registered
21 Posts

View attachment 159150
Sweeeet! I like the color.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Regarding the trailer, I went with aluminum, two spare tires/hubs (lots of road miles planned), walk boards, and a two speed winch (so my fiancé can crank the boat on).

1 - 20 of 63 Posts