Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for Microskiff's annual running scallop report.

We are heading out on Tuesday with some friends, but reports aren't promising. I was just reading an article on estimate surveys done in Citrus county. This year there are less then 5 scallops per 200 sq meters on average, compared to over 21 on average last year.
Maybe they will come in late this year due to the hurricanes? I've seen spear fishing reports saying they are pretty abundant in 30ft of water.

G

·
Ok, here is my take on this...

When thousands upon thousands of people take their daily limit of anything the stock is going to diminish. We all talk about meat fishing but somehow taking 5 gallons of shellfish every day is different? I am not blasting anyone for scalloping. But local economies have come to depend on the resource instead of allowing any industry in. Mark my word, scalloping will close again and sooner than later! The decline has been continuous for several years and the future doesn’t look bright. Local governments and entrepreneurs spend big $ luring people in to Citrus and other areas to scallop. People from all over the country come to harvest them! 5gallons per person per day! 7 days in a row, x 10,000 people= 350,000 gallons harvested per week. Might not be the case this year, but I reckon that might be due to past harvests. Just food for thought, happy scalloping ya’ll!

·
BBA Counselor
7,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've scalloped for the last 4 years and we usually do ok, but rarely limit out. For us it's more about the fun of finding them and a cool ride down the river.
I am surprised they haven't shortened up the season based on the last few years, but if they did there are many towns that would go near bottoms up. I think they need to definitely give then some time to really recover, but going cold turkey for a year isn't feasible.
I guess we will see how the season progresses.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I went out last summer because my dad was in town and wanted to go. We worked hard and didn't even come up with a one person limit while we had to put up with the circus that is scallop season. Seems like four or five years ago I had no trouble finding a limit. I think we probably need some more restrictions, but Citrus county and Steinhatchee would go into open revolt if you tried to implement them.

·
BBA Counselor
7,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They definitely move year to year. I laugh sometimes when guys tell me they have a secret spot from last year, then come up empty. We struggled to get 4 gallons (out of 10) in a full day last year, but our friends who went the next day limited out in an hour 1/2 mile north. That's part of the fun though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ever year on opening day of scallop season I debate about just getting my lawn chair, a cooler of beer and a camera to watch the circus at the landing. It seams like half the people haven't run their pontoon boat since last season and expect the motor to start right up. Or you have the crew of 10 that wait to get their crap together as they are backing up into the water. The best though is when they get back to the dock half drunk and the wife/girlfriend tries to drive the boat on the trailer as the guy backs the trailer down. Kind of glad St Marks doesn't have any this year. Oh and by the way they sell a lb. of bay scallops at Publix for $12 which has a count of 100-150. I sure wouldn't clean that many for $12.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kind of glad St Marks doesn't have any this year.
Whew man, ain't that the truth! Its been nice not having an armada of Looney'Toons floating around everywhere... although still plenty of sandbar pirates roaming around lol

Its unfortunate that St Marks and near doesn't have any, as it was always a nice economic bump for the area... but I am NOT complaining about the minimal traffic compared to last year.

You want scallops? Head to the 'hatch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts