Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far we just have a hull and a deck....more pics to come!

Hull: Shark Grey
Deck: Aqua Mist

#shadowcastflyfishing #saltmarshskiffs #saltmarsh1444 #polingskiff #technicalpolingskiff #customskiff
IMG_20190124_124420_086.jpg

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More progress pics....
#shadowcastflyfishing #saltmarshskiffs #saltmarsh1444 #polingskiff #technicalpolingskiff #customskiff
IMG_20190220_164822_517.jpg
IMG_5464.jpg

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are your exact specs?
You mean my build list??
2015 20 HP Suzuki
Continental Aluminum Trailer
Tiller Console
Poling Platform
Powe Pole Micro
That's about it....

Reactions: bigcountry88

·
Registered
72 Posts
You mean my build list??
2015 20 HP Suzuki
Continental Aluminum Trailer
Tiller Console
Poling Platform
Powe Pole Micro
That's about it....
That’s what I meant. Simple and sounds like a perfect skinny water machine. After my second trip on a SM, I’m considering selling my tin boat and replacing it with the 1444 setup almost like yours

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After my second trip on a SM, I’m considering selling my tin boat and replacing it with the 1444 setup almost like yours
Yep going simple. Let me know when you're ready. I'll get you set up.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are the rear deck/hatch layout options for a 1444? Why did you choose the layout you did?
There is a stern hatch that is now standard in the 1444. The layout I chose is for simplicity and backcountry poling abilities.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

That Native skiff in the background looks different - is that the precursor to the current nativeSUV?
Lol. It's a classic.

Reactions: yobata

·
Paddling away...
6,394 Posts
Talking about the boat in the background. Its a native SUV 14. One of the first of that model he made.
That's actually not a Native SUV 14. It's what came before the SUV model. It's a just a Native 14. Much more deadrise, it was built on the mold of an old fibercraft. Once Mel put a few out, realized the fibercraft wasn't the best design for poling and fishing the shallows, so he redesigned the hull bottom and tweaked it to his likings. The new version is what became to be known as the Native SUV.

Back in the day, folks would convert fibercraft hulls into flats boats. But in those days, not much was known as far as poling strakes and other dynamics that help the performance of a skiff in shallow water. So he kept the classic lines of the Fibercraft, but brought it into the new century with some major upgrades.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts