Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excited to get started! Here’s my options I have chosen so far. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Whisper grey hull and nonskid
Moonlight cushions
Yamaha 115 SHO
Trolling motor regular mount
Lithium battery upgrade
Casting platform
Tall flush mount console with over the top grab rail
Garmin 94sv
LED lights - white
Spring hatches (not gas shock)
Back rest
Cup holder option
Aluminum trailer w folding tongue

No radio
Thought about using Lencos instead of Bennet but HB seems to like the Bennett better.
No power pole
Regular PP holders (thought about upgrade to v marine).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,460 Posts
Why the spring hatches versus shock? Depending on where you live and fish, you might consider a different MFD that is compatible with the Florida Marine Tracks (FMT) chip. Where is the cup holder(s) going? One thing I wish I had is the ability to reverse rods in the under gunnel storage. Good luck--you're going to love her!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
229 Posts
x2 on the reverse rod tubes, I would also think about a flush mount plug on the deck for the TM. I really dislike how the cord drapes across the deck. I like the FMT chip as well, I went with a Simrad specifically and it's been great. Just don't get the all touch screen, great for phones, not so much for boats (IMO).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am doing the reverse rod tubes.

Went with the spring shocks because the gas shocks wore out on my old boat and were super annoying. While cheaper, I've been told the spring system lasts longer.

Went with Garmin because I have a family member work for them. Big discount. Is there anything similar to the FMT for Garmin yet? Will this ever happen? This particular garmin has both touch screen and a knob. I agree touch screen is WORTHLESS when wet.

Cup holder is under the rear seat area. Will ask to do a flush mount TM plug, I didn't even think there was another way to do that!

Anything else you would suggest or change?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
213 Posts
Garmin maps are terrible; probably the worst out there. I would never put one on my boat regardless of a discount. FMT most likely will never be compatible with Garmin. I would consider a Lowrance or Simrad- then you can choose between Navionics or FMT.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
45 Posts
Might want to consider battery tenders. Also a cup holder in the poling platform. If I was building an HB I would have them push down the rod tubes slightly so you can fit cup holders in the gunnels.

Have fun with your build. I look forward to seeing some pictures.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I personally hate springs on hatches.i barely touched the spring while cleaning out the front compartment on our old HB 27’ and the lid crashed down on my head and knocked me out cold!of course the hatch lid was huge...the slam factor is the biggest drawback and a guides nightmare w clients slamming hatches shut.1 slam and every fish nearby is outta there.gas shocks can be replaced easily,open on their own when u release the latch and will never slam down on your head,hand or a rod tip.2nd on the cup holder on poling platform,gunnel and battery tenders.good luck w/ your build!

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
I wouldn’t run a Garmin on an inshore boat, period. They are lacking majorly in the map department. There’s been rumblings for years about them making an upgrade and being able to use Navionics, but I’ve yet to see it.

The FMT Chip, while expensive, is the bomb! And although itis a major investment, it’s still cheaper than a lower unit.

The boat should be awesome. Are the hatches able to have friction hinges on them?

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
995412AD-8128-43FD-8B7F-203C270F9AC9.jpeg
Congrats on your build.

Try to get a 4 blade 18” pitch prop. SCD, PTR, REB, .... anything but the SCD 3 blade 21” prop they typically provide.

I recommend putting your recessed cup holders on the sides near the top of your console rather than down in the aft bulkhead. You will get more use out of them there.

I always had flush mount TM plugs before getting the Tender plug in the bulkhead on my HB. Considering I often use a foot control with a cable I don’t mind the cable(s) on the deck. And when the TM is off I have nothing up there.

I also cut 12” off my 112# TM shaft that makes a huge difference in NOT catching a fly line when someone double hauls downwind, and improves starboard dock clearance.

As for tabs I am liking the Bennett’s with the indicators better than the Lencos I’ve had in the last.

Spend the $100 on a second bilge pump.

Ask them to put ball scuppers over the through hull fittings in your transom for your live well drain and overflow. Then you don’t need to worry about getting things wet when you use the live well for dry storage by leaving the drain valve open and/or running your engine hard in reverse.

Buy two small type BC fire extinguishers and have HB mount one to the bottom of your port stern hatch and the other under the bow hatch.

Also get a SOS strobe light with day flag and you won’t ever have to buy signal flares again.

·
Registered
472 Posts
One more vote for Navico with the FMT chip. I have an older Marquesa with a Garmin and a lowrance carbon. I left the Garmin in the console when I added the HDS Carbon because it was flush mounted and the carbon wouldn’t fit so I didn’t know what to do with the hole. Now I just use it as a sonar unit. The maps are not even comparable. Most of the time the Garmin shows me in green land ( Not Greenland). If money is that tight just get a second unit, Lowrance HDS carbon 7 it’ll run the FMT chip and you can upgrade later once you get tired of staring at the Garmin. They are discounted now that the HDS Live is out.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lowrance-hds-7-carbon-gps-sonar-combo-with-totalscan-transducer

·
Registered
302 Posts
View attachment 58000 Congrats on your build.

Try to get a 4 blade 18” pitch prop. SCD, PTR, REB, .... anything but the SCD 3 blade 21” prop they typically provide.
Need a spare SCD 4 18"? I bought one for my Marquesa, used it once, did not like it at all and put back in the box. Merc hub however. Will let go cheap $200? I like the 3 blade 21" best on mine and bought a second as a spare.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts