Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With only one week to go it appears this years competitors will be limited to Hells Bay, Yellowfin, Sea Pro, and Key West.

I don’t see HB changing their game plan until somebody beats them, or even comes close. Yellowfin has enough experience that this may be their year. What is more interesting is what Sea Pro and Key West will do.

Surprised Chittum isn’t showing up with one of their all carbon boats. I’m guessing they were counting on that new Tohatsu 60 for power, and it just wasn’t ready nor did they have a prop for it.

Would be interesting to see East Cape enter. Their Evo might be a contender. Maybe next year an owners group will put together an entry.

Maverick entering an HPX-V2 would also be interesting because the Yamaha F70 performance data sheets show it to be faster than the HB Biscayne.

But there is a lot more to this challenge than just speed. Detailed planning including risk identification and contingency planning has proven to be the difference in prior years.

May the best team win.

·
You got to get burned to learn
431 Posts
Super long thread last year about if the money goes to Now or Neverglades or some other causes.

I might go over and watch them go through HC this year. I guess I will see what time they are headed through.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Was stupid last year, the years before and will be stupid again this year. They are supposed to running this in the name of Clean water and respect for the states water and resources yet they all blatantly break
Rule 15. Teams are expected to comply with all state and federal rules and regulations, including posted signs and markers.

Then its benefitting Captains for Clean Water? What is that? What do they even do? Sell hats to part time wannabe captains? They raise money to......? Pay lobbyists? Throw a "Gala"? Make sure their Politician gets elected? Were they even back DeSantis, seems like he has taken the bull by the horns. Who are these people behind it and anyone watching the books? Mr. Figure head of the Project was arrested for MONEY FRAUD years ago..... and now you are going to donate MONEY that he has access to..... is he funding a TV Show with that money?

Yea, I am sure Chittum isn't participating just because they cant get a 60 Tohatsu.... Do any of yall think before you type on here?

I have no idea why East Cape isnt participating and I dont care, not why I own one. I didn't see everyone running out and buying a Yellowfin when they won, yall remember that right? Its not been a Hells Bay champion each year.

Also, no idea why Maverick isnt running one either, again I dont care.

I know there were rumors of the Skiff Challenge allowing you to buy time off your clock. So, maybe donate an extra $5k and you get a half hour time credit, an hour? Hmm, got to get that money somehow.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
Was stupid last year, the years before and will be stupid again this year. They are supposed to running this in the name of Clean water and respect for the states water and resources yet they all blatantly break
Rule 15. Teams are expected to comply with all state and federal rules and regulations, including posted signs and markers.
^ x2

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m curious why there is a $5000 entry fee.
All events have entry fees to cover overhead and promotional expenses for the event. Then whatever is leftover goes to the charity.

If it weren’t for the entry fees the charity wouldn’t get anything.

Participants get an advertising PR benefit for being in the event.

Higher entry fees also serve as a filter element to keep the riff raff out.

I may be wrong, but I may be right.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts

Then its benefitting Captains for Clean Water? What is that? What do they even do? Sell hats to part time wannabe captains? They raise money to......? Pay lobbyists? Throw a "Gala"? Make sure their Politician gets elected? Were they even back DeSantis, seems like he has taken the bull by the horns. Who are these people behind it and anyone watching the books? Mr. Figure head of the Project was arrested for MONEY FRAUD years ago..... and now you are going to donate MONEY that he has access to..... is he funding a TV Show with that money?

Yea, I am sure Chittum isn't participating just because they cant get a 60 Tohatsu.... Do any of yall think before you type on here?

I have no idea why East Cape isnt participating and I dont care, not why I own one. I didn't see everyone running out and buying a Yellowfin when they won, yall remember that right? Its not been a Hells Bay champion each year.

I know there were rumors of the Skiff Challenge allowing you to buy time off your clock. So, maybe donate an extra $5k and you get a half hour time credit, an hour? Hmm, got to get that money somehow.
long post for someone who doesn't care.

B

·
0 Posts
A bunch of us in these “homemade “ skiffs should do it just for the hell of it! @Boatbrains
Lets do it next year sometime! If just for fun, we’ll keep entry fee low enough to cover event expenses a trophy of some sort, and maybe a small cash purse. I can possibly line up a pilot and spotter/safety plane for us as well as a all for one support vehicle for fuel and stuff. @firecat1981, you gettin in on this? Maybe we can let “rebuilds” in too since there are a lot of them around also???

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tom Roland's podcast did an episode on this recently, money goes to Captain's for Clean Water. Anything that keeps the attention on the state's water issues is a good thing in my book. What's the issue with that? I think its a great idea and I know I couldn't do it

·
Registered
159 Posts

Who pissed in your cereal this morning?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
938 Posts
With only one week to go it appears this years competitors will be limited to Hells Bay, Yellowfin, Sea Pro, and Key West.

I don’t see HB changing their game plan until somebody beats them, or even comes close. Yellowfin has enough experience that this may be their year. What is more interesting is what Sea Pro and Key West will do.

Surprised Chittum isn’t showing up with one of their all carbon boats. I’m guessing they were counting on that new Tohatsu 60 for power, and it just wasn’t ready nor did they have a prop for it.

Would be interesting to see East Cape enter. Their Evo might be a contender. Maybe next year an owners group will put together an entry.

Maverick entering an HPX-V2 would also be interesting because the Yamaha F70 performance data sheets show it to be faster than the HB Biscayne.

But there is a lot more to this challenge than just speed. Detailed planning including risk identification and contingency planning has proven to be the difference in prior years.

May the best team win.
Oh hell no!!!
We starting this again already???

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,295 Posts
I’m curious why there is a $5000 entry fee.
All of the skiff builders can afford more than the $5000 entry fee, and if they all participated, more funds for clean water could be raised. In reality, any individual or small shop builders can participate just by starting and finishing the challenge with the other four teams. Maverick, East Cape, Ankona, Drake, Beavertail, Sabine, and Chittum have more to lose in negative PR by participating in this tough, skiff build design and testing event.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,104 Posts
Stirring the pot: No one has commented on Chittum not participating this year

Generally interested: What model is Key West running?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,460 Posts

That's about the most negative thing I've read in a long time. Captains for Clean Water is a not-for-profit organization that was formed by a group of fishing guides from SW Florida who felt their livelihoods were threatened by poor water quality management practices and decided to do something about it. They have done a stellar job raising awareness around the state and in Washington D.C., have united various stakeholders in the fight for clean water, and continue to advocate for sound water management and science-based policy. The Board of Directors is comprised of a great group of men and women with backgrounds in the marine industry, government, law, broadcasting, medicine and manufacturing. Contributions and fund raisers make it possible for the organization to continue spreading the message. Captain Daniel Andrews has sacrificed a great deal to make Captains for Clean Water a difference maker here in Florida. The organization's Form 990 (Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax) can be found on their web site.

1 - 20 of 395 Posts