Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
How’s the new boat ? Taken it out ?
I took the boat out last Saturday. Love it!! I kept the RPM down to 3000 or less for the day as I want to break in the motor right. I will take it out this Saturday and up the RPM to 4000. I will try to get her up on plane. The manual says that the motor should not be run WOT for more than 5 min during the next 7 hours of use. I want to break her in right.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I took the boat out last Saturday. Love it!! I kept the RPM down to 3000 or less for the day as I want to break in the motor right. I will take it out this Saturday and up the RPM to 4000. I will try to get her up on plane. The manual says that the motor should not be run WOT for more than 5 min during the next 7 hours of use. I want to break her in right.[/QUOTE

I stongly suggest you talk to a Suzuki mechanic about the correct break in procedure. The Zuke manual may be fine but I can tell you that the Yamaha manual says the same kind of thing and its flat wrong. My dealer actually called the Yamaha engineers on this and got an entirely different real break in procedure. My dealer told me THE #1 problem they see with all outboards that have major issues is improper break in. They are babied way too much and the rings don't properly seat. Anyway you may want to dig into this. It was a real eye opener for me.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
What SWE asked? Interested to know if that was a light load or if you were geared up for fishing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
My EVO was hitting 20 Mph at 4000 RPM. I believe I was at 5500 RPMs. I think she has more to give. I did not keep it there very long (less than a minute) as i am trying to follow manufacture break-in recommendations. So I may have mis-spoke on the WOT numbers. The EVO was loaded for fishing. There were two of us on board. I am planning on fishing the Indian River Memorial day weekend. There will be three of us. I will have to see how far I push the motor then. I want longevity of the motor vs instant gratification.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts