Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Suzuki DF60A - little over 30 hours

Earlier in the morning my buddy and I both caught just a small wiff of gas while we were polling around. Never smelled gas with the motor tilted before this. Heading back to the ramp later in the day, hopped up just fine, then about a minute into the run back, motor hesitated a few times then just stalled out. Ball was super soft, and felt empty so we primed it up and tried it again. Boat ran fine all the way back to the ramp (10 min run wide open), however, the bulb stayed collapsed the entire run. We tried to open the ball back up to its original shape during the run, but it stayed collapsed the whole way, but motor appeared to be running ok. I have the C-10 gauge and no warnings came up.

I called the Suzuki dealer on the drive home, he said I most likely just had some air in the line that will work its way out. They just did my 20 hour service late October, so he thought maybe some air in the line after the fuel seperator was replaced. Just curious for some other opinions or if someone has had a similar issue and possible quick fix. He said if it happens again, bring it in.

Boat is stored in the garage. No fuel leaks on the floor, and no fuel smell in the hatches or anywhere else in the garage or boat.

Thanks in advance

B

·
0 Posts
Hello, you say the ball stayed collapsed. The way you described it, it sounds like a restriction in the fuel system. Things to check are...
Kinked hose
Anti siphon valve on tank
Restriction at/in fuel/water separator
Primer ball itself

After priming the system there was most likely enough fuel in the vst to run 10 minutes.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
483 Posts
My suzuki 70 coughed and died 2 days ago...luckily I was a block from home and the towboat US was sitting right there. I had replaced the water separator the previous day and did not completely purge air out. Good luck probably just air in the line.

B

·
0 Posts
My suzuki 70 coughed and died 2 days ago...luckily I was a block from home and the towboat US was sitting right there. I had replaced the water separator the previous day and did not completely purge air out. Good luck probably just air in the line.
My concern is he described the primer as being sucked flat. Air will not cause that, only a retriction.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,974 Posts
Ran my f70la out of gas, topped off gas n pumping bulb it wouldn't start. Bulb was not hard, disconnected gas line from engine n continued pumping bulb with depressing check valve on hose. Air bled out n gas squirts out. Reconnect n it started.....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, you say the ball stayed collapsed. The way you described it, it sounds like a restriction in the fuel system. Things to check are...
Kinked hose
Anti siphon valve on tank
Restriction at/in fuel/water separator
Primer ball itself

After priming the system there was most likely enough fuel in the vst to run 10 minutes.
Thanks to everyone for the input. OK, just checked the ball this morning. After 4-5 squeezes, its hard as a rock. Gets soft after a few minutes and pumps hard after 4-5 squeezes again. No kinks I can see anywhere, no fuel smell at all in the garage. Since Ive owned the boat, Ive never had to squeeze the ball before starting, I just turn the key and it starts right up. The Suzuki dealer did mention the anti siphon valve to me yesterday. Said they cause more problems than they solve.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was able to talk to another Suzuki dealer/mechanic yesterday. He said if my ball was collapsed, I definitely have a blockage before the ball. And being that the boat is brand new, its most likely small debris in the tank from the construction process. He gave me the same starting points as BoatBrains, saying most likely the anti siphon valve. Weather was crap yesterday, so I'll run it tomorrow and see how it does.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,283 Posts
If your primer bulb won’t stay hard after you pump it and the motor is not running you probably have a leak at one of the fittings at the tank or fuel filter/ water separator housing that’s sucking air. If the bulb goes flat while the motor is running you probably have a tank vent restriction. Sounds like you have both. Don’t fool around and nickel and dime this or it will continue to cause grief. Have the shop go through it from the tank to the motor, this is their issue, not yours. Just my suggestion.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Suzuki dealer had it today and checked out everything from the tank to the motor and found no issues, kinks or leaks. They did replace the ball with a heavier duty Attwood. The OEM Suzuki ball did feel weak and soft compared to the new one. The Attwood primed up with just two pumps, and stayed rock hard even up until now. Im going to run it tomorrow and see how it does. If it happens again, they said I definitely have an issue inside the tank.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update. In the last two days of having the boat in the water, I have run 1/2 tank fuel through it, running wide open as much as I could. Engine ran flawlessly both days. Was out today from sun up to sun down, and motor never sputtered or hesitated once. No fuel smell either. I figured if the ball was going to collapse again, it would be under heavy load like the last times. Not one single issue today or yesterday. As of now, replacing the ball has worked.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts