Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone running this engine found a prop they like? Better yet, has anyone had Foreman build one for this engine? Looking to get a SS since these aluminum ones aren't lasting me long.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
10 Posts
I talked to Jack Foreman about building me a prop for my Suzuki 30hp but he didnt seem very interested in taking on the project. Im not sure if he builds many props for smaller hp motors.

I had a Powertech REB3 that ran well as long as you didnt try to bring the motor up on the jack plate too much.

Switched to a Powertech SCB3 and now I can run the motor all the way up on the jack plate. Allowed me to get probably 2" extra in height on the jack plate. This prop doesnt love to be submerged too far down in the water though. If you dont have a jack plate I would go with the REB3.

I still have my REB if you are interested in buying it. Send me a message.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to Jack Foreman about building me a prop for my Suzuki 30hp but he didnt seem very interested in taking on the project. Im not sure if he builds many props for smaller hp motors.

I had a Powertech REB3 that ran well as long as you didnt try to bring the motor up on the jack plate too much.

Switched to a Powertech SCB3 and now I can run the motor all the way up on the jack plate. Allowed me to get probably 2" extra in height on the jack plate. This prop doesnt love to be submerged too far down in the water though. If you dont have a jack plate I would go with the REB3.

I still have my REB if you are interested in buying it. Send me a message.
Yeah I heard from a couple other guys he doesn't really mess with smaller outboards. I'll send you a PM.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Yeah I heard from a couple other guys he doesn't really mess with smaller outboards. I'll send you a PM.
He did a prop for my 30 Etec, but he didn't build it from scratch. He bought a prop for powertech and did some work on it. I was happy with it and him. He says on the smaller props it just not cost effective to build a prop. I'm paraphrasing him there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
He did a prop for my 30 Etec, but he didn't build it from scratch. He bought a prop for powertech and did some work on it. I was happy with it and him. He says on the smaller props it just not cost effective to build a prop. I'm paraphrasing him there.
Same. hole-shots are a finesse move at the point while spinning up. Motor doesn’t have the power to spin the prop immediately and make power. I ported the prop last night in hopes that will help. The small Suzuki gear cases are the issue according to me foreman and aren’t ideal. He recommends tohatsu for smaller displacement motors. Does anyone know if Suzuki has offered to fix the prop chatter, or if there is a fix?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,057 Posts
My 25 suzuki prop chatter was loud! Sold it with only 16 hrs of run time. The response from the dealer and manufacture was very disappointing. I was told the motor wasn't designed for stainless props.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,057 Posts
The dealer offered to disassemble the lower unit to look for a defect. I was told if nothing was found I'd be on the hook to pay for the $115 per hr shop rate. No thank you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The dealer offered to disassemble the lower unit to look for a defect. I was told if nothing was found I'd be on the hook to pay for the $115 per hr shop rate. No thank you!
Totally understandable. I can live with the chatter. It chatter when I had an aluminum prop on there, albeit not quite like my stainless one

·
Registered
29 Posts
So has anyone running this engine found a prop they like? Better yet, has anyone had Foreman build one for this engine? Looking to get a SS since these aluminum ones aren't lasting me long.
Hull specs? How many do you typically fish? Looking for speed or hole shot? Jack plate?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hull specs? How many do you typically fish? Looking for speed or hole shot? Jack plate?
Cayo 173. 17’3 62” beam. 2 degree dead rise. Usually only only fish two people sometimes solo. Don’t have a jack plate yet but considering it. Just looking for better holeshot and ability to run a little shallower. Looking like I’m really gonna be needing a JP though. Hopefully I get to run isubarui’s skiff this weekend (same as mine) to see how it compares.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,057 Posts
Totally understandable. I can live with the chatter. It chatter when I had an aluminum prop on there, albeit not quite like my stainless one
I didn't have the chatter with an aluminum prop. I tried a Ballistic stainless prop and it wasn't real bad. The Power tech props were awful sounding at low rpm's. Other than that I really liked the little motor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I picked up a stainless Powertech (forgot what model) from @isubarui and ran it back from the sand bar Saturday. Mixed emotions. He had it cupped so its shallow water capabilities are much, much better than the aluminum. I was able to hop up on the edge of the sand flat we were hanging out on and ran across a decently shallow sand flat. Downside (obviously) is it's ridiculously slow, my buddies john boat was passing me up haha. Going to take it to Bauman here in Houston and let him take some of the cupping out of it and go from there. Not really sure what prop chatter is but at idle I really didn't notice a difference. WOT it was louder then the aluminum but I guess I don't really care about it. I guess I was expecting a more terrible/unhealthy sounding noise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts