Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 tohatsu 50hp 4 stroke. It has a bad starter and I was told it’s a common problem on these motors and it would be on backorder for 3-4 weeks. So after 5 weeks I get a call and find out it’s not going to be here until late March!!! Seems crazy that such a new motor can have a part so far out. Any ideas if I can get a different starter to fit without voiding a warranty?

I’ve had multiples offers on selling my 2017 Saltmarsh Heron but am held up because of this.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well that sucks. I chose the Tohatsu 50 for my build (Heron 16). What’s the warranty...36 mos? Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Been a good motor up until you need parts. 2 months back order here, 4 weeks the next time
The starter doesn't need to be back ordered unless you want a brand new Tohatsu branded part. It can be repaired. Just about every city in America has a crusty old building in a bad part of town that rebuilds alternators and starters. You could probably do it on your kitchen table if you want to.

There are lots of ways to get this part that don't require waiting a month. A quick search of the part number shows them in stock in several difference places, all of them being ridiculously over priced.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The starter doesn't need to be back ordered unless you want a brand new Tohatsu branded part. It can be repaired. Just about every city in America has a crusty old building in a bad part of town that rebuilds alternators and starters. You could probably do it on your kitchen table if you want to.

There are lots of ways to get this part that don't require waiting a month. A quick search of the part number shows them in stock in several difference places, all of them being ridiculously over priced.
Yeah I know I can get one separately but it’s nice taking advantage of a warranty motor while I can

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
If you can give a good description of the symptoms I can test my good starter and tell you how each part should test on your multimeter. May be able to narrow down a fix until the warranty replacement shows up. It could be something simple.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The MFS50's don't have a pull cord like the 30's. It can be pulled started but first you have to remove the cowling, fly wheel cover, and wrap a pull cord around the fly wheel.
Yes that is true but if you really wanted to get on the water it really isn’t that big of a deal. You may get some looks at the boat ramp but who cares. Just make the first spot count :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts