Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I hope that all of my fellow anglers on the eastern shores made it through the storm safely. I know over a dozen people have lost their lives and the rivers in North Carolina are still rising. They are going to experience record flooding over the next few days. This is exactly what Louisiana had to endure just a month and a half ago and I can only hope that the state pulls together to help one another as ours did. Good luck and stay safe to all those out there who have suffered and have more suffering to come.

My skiff will be going to mold soon and barring any delays I should have it around Thanksgiving. I am starting this thread so that I can post up pictures as I get them.

I am going with a light blue 2017 East Cape Fury with the following set up:

Tiller Mercury 60 with carbon tiller extension
Atlas Micro Jacker with two sets of switches (one under the poling platform for when I am standing on the back deck to run and one on the right gunnel or rear bulkhead)
Trim tab switches will be set up like the jackplate switches
Offset 12v iPilot
Oversized casting platform with removable lean bar
tie downs in cockpit for yeti jumpseat (will not run with this cooler much)
GPS mounted on right gunnel with engine data via NMEA network
Tach glassed in on the right gunnel by GPS (not protruding into the cockpit)
Micro power pole
Spray on keel guard
push pole caddy on tab welded to poling platform
A couple extras here and there but that is the bulk of it

I can't wait for the resin to start flowing and will post frequently on progress if anyone is interested.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,637 Posts
Good simple plan on the set up, with the exception of the instruments and power pole very close to the set up on my last three skiffs. Be sure about the tiller, most people are just not comfortable with the tiller operation, especially in rough water.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good simple plan on the set up, with the exception of the instruments and power pole very close to the set up on my last three skiffs. Be sure about the tiller, most people are just not comfortable with the tiller operation, especially in rough water.
I am sure. I have run several tillers in the past, albeit none of them were above 36 hp. But I like to think I am a quick learner. :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sjrobin are you running a tiller in the 60 class? How does it handle in a chop? Give me your overall opinion of larger hp tillers for TP skiffs if you don't mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on the skiff. When did you get in line? I hear the line is getting longer !

What is your opinion on the Fury vs the new shallow version Evo?
I got in line at the end of July right before the rush. Since East Cape posted about it on instagram being a new version of the "EVO" I guess I can talk about it now. I didn't get a chance to run it while I was there but I talked with Kevin a good bit about the applications of both boats. First off, they are both sharp looking skiffs! My understanding is that the new model will be a little faster than the Fury with same power, and will be better for fishing off the beach. It will also pole a little better as well. I went with the Fury mainly because of the sponsons and deck. The draft is more important to me than being able to fish big water which I will rarely do. I wanted a skiff that would hop up on plain quickly, take a good chop and keep me dry, but still float shallow. I am ate up with redfishing in 6" to 1ft of water and I wanted my skiff to be tailor made for it. In addition, I love the deck layout of the Fury more so than the EVO. That is just a personal preference but it mattered to me. I also prefer the hull look on the Fury but again personal preference. In this particular case, the Fury was absolutely JUST what I was looking for in a skiff. That being said, if I would have chosen to go with the new model, I think I would have been just as happy with my choice.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,637 Posts
sjrobin are you running a tiller in the 60 class? How does it handle in a chop? Give me your overall opinion of larger hp tillers for TP skiffs if you don't mind. Thanks.
I like the tiller but if you tend to relax while standup steering the tiller handle could be pushed by weight shift or pulled from your hand in rough conditions or in turns and you end up overboard. Tiller steering requires more focus on the task at hand. No day dreaming. The way the skiff hull handles rough water is also more of a factor for tiller skiffs. The steering friction adjustment helps more with torque than loss of control.
I have been thrown from tiller skiffs twice over a forty year period due to loss of control(no kill switch)but I still use them because of the amount of space you gain. I have used tillers on 70 to 25 HP motors
When you pick up your EC, find a brave friend, wear the kill switch lanyard, and put the Fury through it's paces in all kinds of conditions. Most accidents happen with brand new toys.
Also call me if you need a fishing friend sometime in La. I have not sight fished for the XL reds you guys have there.

Steve

·
Fly-By-Night
3,184 Posts
I love tillers.
@sjrobin made a lot of excellent points. I would add I've run tiller boats my whole life and the only time I've come close to unintentionally getting out of the boat while running:eek: was 100% my fault mostly due to thinking I was good enough to run how I knew I shouldn't. It can happen to anybody and it happens quick. It was a following sea, running too fast, standing when I should have been sitting, not wearing lanyard. I didn't have tabs but had the motor tucked to keep the bow down (better ride). Well I planted the bow into the back of a nice wave. The waves were getting shorter, but I was counting on the stern dropping before the bow planted into the back of the next crest, wrong....water over bow....abrupt turn to port (bowsteer), falling down, not wearing lanyard, cooler over the side (recovered). Only injury was pride and a few drinks and ice. Moral of the (my) story... if you're questioning if it's too rough to run standing up, it probably was 15 min ago..LOL oh, and remember don't be like me, keep that bow up when running down sea.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of this beast sounds like a super sweet setup!:)
LH

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once I get my skiff and get comfortable in it, it'd be my pleasure to hook up with you @sjrobin to get on some big girls!

@Reggiedog i think the Caimen is a sweet skiff but I want something a little bigger to have the option to fish 3 occasionally and maybe run 4 to the sandbar. Not to mention I'd like to try the tarpon game once in awhile.

@LowHydrogen ill make sure I'm seasoned before getting too brave. I'll probably baby the skiff and won't want to take too many chances, at least for a little while.

·
Registered
23 Posts
E-money, I rode a Vantage that had cupholders on thegunnels and it was a nice feature to have. when moving from the bow to stern there is less chance to kick over your beer you put down in a haste. spooked a fish once doing that :)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,637 Posts
If you have to have beverage holders, cut holes in the poling and casting platforms. Or better yet, buy the 20 oz Yeti tumblers, pour your beer into one, and set it in the shade of the gunnel. Your beverage will stay cold a long time. Ram mounts makes a clamp on beverage holder that works well on the platform tubing.

·
You got to get burned to learn
524 Posts
I'll add in to this "I'm on the list thread" I put deposit down Aug 5th for a Vantage. I also considered cup holders on the gunnel but I wanted to check if they could put them in the floor in front of the rear bulkhead. One port and starboard for the passengers since I will have a center console. I am also putting one on the casting and polling platform. In my opinion you cant have enough of them.

·
Lip Ripper
1,707 Posts
I'll add in to this "I'm on the list thread" I put deposit down Aug 5th for a Vantage. I also considered cup holders on the gunnel but I wanted to check if they could put them in the floor in front of the rear bulkhead. One port and starboard for the passengers since I will have a center console. I am also putting one on the casting and polling platform. In my opinion you cant have enough of them.
Think Chad meant to say side console

·
Registered
110 Posts
E-money,

Is ECC spraying the keel guard or do they work with the Line-X guys out of Sarasota? I want a color-matched keel guard sprayed on my Shadowcast. If ECC can do it, that's a lot shorter trip for me than Sarasota.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.