Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gorgeous boat and I am a big fan of Kevin and the team at East Cape. Met them in Orlando when I was in for a business trip and they couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating to my wife and I when we stopped in unannounced.
I am curious of the MPH folks are getting in their Evo x's? I have to cover a lot of water (and a decent amount of chop) to get to my fav spots in Baffin Bay.
Hoping folks can share MPH and setup info?
PJ
Texas
I'm bout to have an EVOx built and fish the same area as you are, primarily Land Cut/Hole and south. The flat bottom of the X will require slowing down a bit if Baffin is big, which is most of the time. However, once we reach those vast skinny flats, the X will shine!
I've heard mid-30s with the Zuke 60.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm bout to have an EVOx built and fish the same area as you are, primarily Land Cut/Hole and south. The flat bottom of the X will require slowing down a bit if Baffin is big, which is most of the time. However, once we reach those vast skinny flats, the X will shine!
I've heard mid-30s with the Zuke 60.
There lies the challenge.
You are dead on about the spots we fish. I had a 17' Mitzi that l liked a lot but couldn't put a big enough engine on it to get it over 33mph and pop it up in the north end of the 9 mile with three people aboard. Sold it and picked up an 18' Shallow Sport, Sport with an eTec 115. It would draft very thin and pop up with 3 or 4 aboard but the ride was rough and wet, even in very little chop.
Would like to run around 42 to 45 WOT and still be able to run thin.
Gonna call Kevin tomorrow.
PJ
TX

·
Registered
86 Posts
You are dead on about the spots we fish. I had a 17' Mitzi that l liked a lot but couldn't put a big enough engine on it to get it over 33mph and pop it up in the north end of the 9 mile with three people aboard. Sold it and picked up an 18' Shallow Sport, Sport with an eTec 115. It would draft very thin and pop up with 3 or 4 aboard but the ride was rough and wet, even in very little chop.
PJ
TX

·
Registered
45 Posts
PJ
TX
By the way, I'm in a Vantage VHP with a 90 right now. The Vantage eats the Baffin chop! But the flats we're running to are too skinny to pole the Vantage all day. I'm topping out at 38-42. It takes me just over an hour to get to Hap's Cut from Bird Island. Not bad. Granted, I'm getting blown by on the way down by Haynies with 300s...but once I get there, I'm seeing more redfish than they are!

·
Registered
86 Posts
By the way, I'm in a Vantage VHP with a 90 right now. The Vantage eats the Baffin chop! But the flats we're running to are too skinny to pole the Vantage all day. I'm topping out at 38-42. It takes me just over an hour to get to Hap's Cut from Bird Island. Not bad. Granted, I'm getting blown by on the way down by Haynies with 300s...but once I get there, I'm seeing more redfish than they are!
My boat is the one in this video.
It definitely scoots and I can hang with some pretty fast boats (I have hit 60 in it). Willing to give up a bit of MPH for draft.
PJ

Reactions: Harvey

·
Registered
388 Posts
PJ
TX
I don't know what motor you had on your Mitzi but I get 37-38mph with 2 people with the 2 stroke Yamaha 70

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't know what motor you had on your Mitzi but I get 37-38mph with 2 people with the 2 stroke Yamaha 70
My Mitzi was a 2002 hull and 60hp carbureted Merc. I had it for 10 years and debated heavily a re-power or sell it and get something that could handle a bigger engine and pop up in thinner water.
I have heard of some folks running 41mph or so with a Mitzi 17 tunnel with 70 4-stroke Yamaha. It is a consideration but I am pretty enamored with the fit and finish of the EC and would not mind doing business with Kevin and the team.
I am thinking about an Evo X with a 90hp (not sure if I would do a zuke or Etec).
Does the 'regular' Vantage have the same rib that runs down the middle of the hull?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Most buyers are going with the 60 Suzuki. I looked hard at the 90 Suzuki and 70 Yamaha. I went with the 60 Suzuki. It seems to be the best for power vs weight. Most are getting about 36-38 wot solo, 33-35 loaded. I may look at a Crossroads prop after my break-in and I get some data points.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Those are only on the VHP Vantage and not the normal one. They help strengthen the hull and provide a little more stability at higher speeds.
Thank you for the clarification.
On the website I like how it splits the data between the Evo and the Evo X. It didn't on the Vantage and Vantage VHP and I didn't realize that the VHP had a deeper draft than the Vantage. First time I spoke with Kevin he listened to my needs (and was very familiar with where I fish and he put in order of suggestions 1. "Vantage" 2. Evo "modified hull" (this was earlier last year and I don't think they were yet calling it "Evo X") 3. Evo "standard hull".
My VHP came up on the market here in Texas and I jumped on it not realizing that it drafts deeper than the 'regular' Vantage. It is still an awesome Skiff but that rib is creating issues in super skinny water.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pablo Hone6 talk to Kevin about the 90 on the X. They've had some trials with it.
Thank you, sir
I left him a message a little while ago. Should hear back from him soon.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
The definition of "launching in spit". Check out the water level along the mangroves.....water levels have been super low in Lagoon system.

Vehicle Water transportation Boat Bass boat Transport

Attachments

·
I Love microskiff.com!
637 Posts
The boat picked up speed with the livewell full? That's a 40 gallon livewell. That's like three hundred extra pounds aft of the center of gravity. Wow.

I hope you guys will get the prop options dialed in for the rest of us, then share the data!
It doesn't make much sense given that we know lighter typically = faster, but I remember reading an article where IIRC Harry Spear said something similar. Guys in tournaments would put 50 lb dumbbells in the bilge in front of the transom to run faster. All I can figure is that it gets more of the front portion of the hull out of the water, so you're running with less friction like the pad on a bass boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
637 Posts
Ok, was able to get out with my new EVO x today!

First the fishing, the wife and I put in at B42 this morning, stiff south wind, choppy water, not ideal for sight fishing but hey I took the day off!

Ran to spot number 1, someone already there, dang it. Ran to spot #2, no fish. Poled Tiger a bit but it was a ghost town.

Made a big run south to one my go to spots. Water clarity was terrible but we did find fish. They were tough to see but we were able to put a few in the boat.

View attachment 6990
View attachment 6991

Officially slimed!
View attachment 6992

This one had some interesting spots...also, see how crappy the water was looking in the background.
View attachment 6993

Another nice slot red...
View attachment 6996

Dude in the background could have used a few lessons in etiquette, but he wasn't gonna ruin my day!
View attachment 6994

Final fish of the day, we were off the water by noon, the wind really kicked up.
View attachment 6995

Now about the boat, I could just about echo everything @mtoddsolomon said in his review. I could not be happier with the quality, function and performance of this skiff. The boat handles very nimbly and is super responsive without ever getting squirrelly. Tight turns just dig in without any slide. The Suzuki 60 purrs like a kitten. Quietest outboard I've ever owned. Still got some prop issues but I've got another prop arriving next day or so, we'll see how that does. But with my current prop, I can get on a plane in about 4 seconds, I timed it today. Could not ask for more.

Poling the EVO x is a dream! In windy condition she wants to point her nose into the wind. Spins and turns effortlessly. She tracks very well.

I think poling this skiff is there you can tell that it's really a small boat that fishes a LOT larger than it is. The large deck is deceptive in that it's much wider than the hull at the waterline. But she handles like a microskiff on the pole.

One of my original concerns about the higher freeboard of the EVO x was how it would pole in windy conditions. I got a good dose of that today and even though I still look a bit like a dork on the platform, I had no issues at all with the wind blowing me around too much. I'm sure it will be even better after I've logged a few more hours on the platform.

We did a bit of running today and pretty much stayed dry and comfortable through the chop that kicked up from time to time.

I also want to say that I had a great experience with East Cape Skiffs from start to finish. Kevin and Adam were both GREAT to work with. Professional yet warm and friendly, really made us feel welcome from the first day I walked into the shop to the day I took delivery of the boat.

Thanks guys!!

View attachment 6997
View attachment 6999
Really nice skiff and well thought out. That's worth more than hanging every bell and whistle off it. What is the freeboard? I'm working on building a skiff with 17" sides and hoping the wind won't be too bad on it. I saw the Spear Glades X is only 12" but it gets choppy a lot in the Big Bend, we really don't have barrier islands, and taking waves over the bow and stern of a Jon boat is no fun, I want a little more capability.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Really nice skiff and well thought out. That's worth more than hanging every bell and whistle off it. What is the freeboard? I'm working on building a skiff with 17" sides and hoping the wind won't be too bad on it. I saw the Spear Glades X is only 12" but it gets choppy a lot in the Big Bend, we really don't have barrier islands, and taking waves over the bow and stern of a Jon boat is no fun, I want a little more capability.
I have not measured it but the whole concept of the EVOx is a super shallow boat with a bit more big water capability, so more freeboard than the other boats in the line up. The poling performance in the wind has been really good. (ask me how I know.....):)

141 - 160 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.