Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Well I was hoping to be posting some more fish slime pics today....but as fate would have it my 12 yr old Tundra decided to take a crap on me. So I spent my day off at my mechanic who couldn't find the problem then about 4 hours at the Toyota dealer who allegedly fixed but when I went to pick it up something else was broken. Cascading electrical failures, fix one thing and something else would go.

Long story short my new EVO x has a new set of ponies to pull it. Pretty damn annoyed at the timing of it all but it's a bitchin ride:))

2017 Tacoma SR5
View attachment 7097

Also a few more thoughts about my first fishing trip yesterday. I didn't mention how quiet this hull is on the pole. Even with the decent chop and windy conditions, there was zero hull slap if I had my nose pointed and moving forward into the wind or at a diagonal. I'm super pleased with the stealthiness of this boat.

Re: the Power Pole micro, I was kind of on the fence about whether a poling skiff really needs a PP. (I had one on my bay boat before) But man this thing is the chiznits! Especially if you fish from the tower like I do. So very convenient to put the spike down, clip the push pole and make a cast and it's dead quiet. Much quieter than the first generation haudraulic one I had a few years ago.

One thing I'd recommend for fishing the flats is get a shorter spike than the stock 8 footer. I bought some 3/4 solid fiberglass garden spikes off Amazon to experiment with and cut 5 foot section which seems perfect for fishing shallower flats. In the up position it doesn't interfere with poling.

View attachment 7108

View attachment 7109

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,643 Posts
The boat picked up speed with the livewell full? That's a 40 gallon livewell. That's like three hundred extra pounds aft of the center of gravity. Wow.

I hope you guys will get the prop options dialed in for the rest of us, then share the data!
The people that sell the skiff will have the prop dialed in. SRD's are not designed for your skiff. SCB or SWC will work or the Suk prop EC recommends.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,643 Posts
Well I was hoping to be posting some more fish slime pics today....but as fate would have it my 12 yr old Tundra decided to take a crap on me. So I spent my day off at my mechanic who couldn't find the problem then about 4 hours at the Toyota dealer who allegedly fixed but when I went to pick it up something else was broken. Cascading electrical failures, fix one thing and something else would go.

Long story short my new EVO x has a new set of ponies to pull it. Pretty damn annoyed at the timing of it all but it's a bitchin ride:))

2017 Tacoma SR5
View attachment 7097

Also a few more thoughts about my first fishing trip yesterday. I didn't mention how quiet this hull is on the pole. Even with the decent chop and windy conditions, there was zero hull slap if I had my nose pointed and moving forward into the wind or at a diagonal. I'm super pleased with the stealthiness of this boat.

Re: the Power Pole micro, I was kind of on the fence about whether a poling skiff really needs a PP. (I had one on my bay boat before) But man this thing is the chiznits! Especially if you fish from the tower like I do. So very convenient to put the spike down, clip the push pole and make a cast and it's dead quiet. Much quieter than the first generation haudraulic one I had a few years ago.

One thing I'd recommend for fishing the flats is get a shorter spike than the stock 8 footer. I

bought some 3/4 solid fiberglass garden spikes off Amazon to experiment with and cut 5 foot section which seems perfect for fishing shallower flats. In the up position it doesn't interfere with poling.

View attachment 7108

View attachment 7109
Nice Tacoma. How many miles on the old one?

·
Lip Ripper
1,707 Posts
The people that sell the skiff will have the prop dialed in. SRD's are not designed for your skiff. SCB or SWC will work or the Suk prop EC recommends.
WHy aren't the SRDs designed for this skiff? I only ask because Mike talked to Power Tech and it seemed to be what they recommended. Also, because I'm looking at different props myself.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,643 Posts
Why are you looking at different props? Which prop did EC recommend for your skiff? I have said this before but believe it or not the people that build your skiff should know the best prop for the skiff if they sell a lot of them. The builder wants you to be happy. Look at the Powertech web and read the applications for the props they make. Know if your skiff is flat at the stern or not. He talked to a rep of Powertech, that is how they are sold. Some reps will have a lot of experience with skiffs(years) and some will not.

·
Lip Ripper
1,707 Posts
I'm very happy with my current prop, the Suzuki 11.75 15p. My reason for looking for a spare prop is mainly to have a spare. I run a lot of oyster filled creeks and already have some prop dings and at the end of the day I don't want to wind up way back in a creek without a prop. Now having said that when I'm looking at a new prop I'd like to get one what has a little less hole shot and a little more top end. That way I'll have the best of both worlds.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,643 Posts
Yes sir Todd having a spare is a good idea. I have a three and four blade. I like both of them. I have a little better hole shot with the four and use it if I expect to run in shallow bays. I do not carry a spare prop on board.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Hey all,

Well the stars aligned and we had a Saturday with light winds and clear skies today! I fished solo today on the Lagoon and had a pretty awesome day.

Spot #1, I poled in and within 30 minutes of getting there I had 4 fish in the boat. Pretty awesome start!

Found a nice sized school of slot to upper slot fish and managed to pick off a whole mess off the edges.

View attachment 7783

View attachment 7784

Sorry for the crappy pics, I was alone and my hands were slimy:)

I stopped at 8 reds and 2 trout and decided to leave them alone and go do some exploring at some other spots. (The trout came home with me to roll around in some bread crumbs:)

Spot #2, as I approached I counted 7 boats already working the bar, ugh, turned around and made a run to Tiger Shoal. Water was gorgeous, have not seen it this clean in a long time. Sadly, no fish to be seen.

View attachment 7785

View attachment 7786

I was really interested in how my new EVO x would pole fishing solo. I had to chance to really do a lot of poling today.

If you recall the below pic from my test ride on the EVO x prototype, with just me standing on the platform that even with the uneven distribution the chines are still submerged.
View attachment 7788

Well I was very pleased that even with the live well 1/2 full to hold my catch and without moving anything around in the boat to get more weight upfront, the boat was still dead silent on the pole. It didn't track 'quite" as well as when there's someone on the bow but its certainly still very easy to pole. Still super pleased with this boat.

View attachment 7789

Oh and I added this to my boat....:)
View attachment 7790

·
I Love microskiff.com!
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Just wanted to brag on my EVO x a little more....I was looking at the anchor light tab they welded onto my platform. I'm so impressed with the level of detail they put into these little things. The perfect fit for the light, wire chase, beveled edges. This paradigm is through out the boat, nothing is over looked or a second thought. This is the level of detail on the whole build.

Vehicle Small appliance
Ceiling Auto part Roof

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gorgeous boat and I am a big fan of Kevin and the team at East Cape. Met them in Orlando when I was in for a business trip and they couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating to my wife and I when we stopped in unannounced.
I am curious of the MPH folks are getting in their Evo x's? I have to cover a lot of water (and a decent amount of chop) to get to my fav spots in Baffin Bay.
Hoping folks can share MPH and setup info?
PJ
Texas

121 - 140 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.