Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am looking at a boat with a Yamaha that has 770 hours on it. Any thoughts on how reliable these motors are and how many hours I may be able to get out of it. Looks very well maintained. I am more familiar with the bigger motors than these small ones. Will be my first poling skiff.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
my 2001 Evinrude has less than 1000 hrs. My truck has 1960 hrs & 63,000 miles
Just for comparison sake. I’d think 100,000 miles so to speak is real doable

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I have heard those small motors last a while when maintained.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A mechanic with Yamaha software can also hook the engine to a computer and tell you how many hours the engine has been run at various RPM's.

·
Registered
225 Posts
People commonly site something like 2000 hours as a reasonable expected life for a good outboard. For an outboard on a small skiff, it would take most of us many, many years to run 1300 more hours on that motor. I think it's a sign of "good use" for a 2012 motor that it has 700 hours, probably better than my 2010 that has only 200 hours.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had diagnostics done on it and it’s 687, that’s less than 100 a year. Pretty average, compression is good all else is good

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,412 Posts
Then I'd buy with confidence. Do the regular maintenance and go fishing!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I bought it. All good. I been needing a tech skiff, owned bay boats and still have one but it cant do all I need it to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts