Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a 2010 DF140 that I am having issues with. It has been cutting off on me intermittently at higher RPMs. Sometimes it will completely shut down, and sometimes it will not cut completely out (i.e. I can pull throttle down to neutral and motors stays running). No codes are showing on the digital SMS gage. Runs flawless until it cuts out. I have been fighting this for a while… The following is what I have done so far:

Motor would shut down completely. Would not want to crank back up. Would have to pump bulb until firm and turn over. Had to advance throttle a couple of times to get to crank (would sneeze, etc.). Once cranked, idled fine and ran fine. Until of course it would die again. Motor would shut off quite a bit throughout the day.

What I did:

1. Changed primer bulb out with new OEM
2. Changed fuel water separator out with new RACOR (OEM spec)
3. Changed fuel lines
4. Drained and inspected tank
5. Checked all connections to tank (no anti-siphon valve)
6. Replaced LP fuel pump with new
7. Replaced LP fuel filter with new
8. Replaced “white wire” with new
9. Checked all connections to power. Boat already had new cables installed before I bought
it. They look to only be a few months old. All are tight.
10. Pulled manifold and VST. Fully inspected and cleaned VST. Screen filter inside VST was
good. There were a couple of tiny pieces of crud inside VST, but nothing alarming.
11. Removed and cleaned IAC Valve.
12. New Plugs (OEM spec)

Result:
Seems to run better. Does not shutoff as often (once or twice per trip at high RPMS). When shuts off, primer bulb is firm. Starts right back up. But, STILL SHUTTING OFF!

I’m stumped… I feel like it may be a ground issue, but my cables are brand-new. The only thing that I am suspicious about with the ground is that the ground coming off of the motor goes to a lug, instead of straight to the battery (lug has house ground connected to it and battery ground runs to it). I’m also thinking maybe the HP fuel pump is going bad, but there is no surging. The motor runs flawless until it cuts out. Any ideas would be awesome!

B

·
0 Posts
Check all grounds on motor not just the battery ground. There are many. Remove and clean. You will need to check fuel pressure for ho pump diagnostics.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I haven’t checked the HP pump pressure yet. It does sound unusually loud when turn the key over. The sudden power loss with no surge is what puzzles me, but who knows. Hopefully will figure it out soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts