2006 Nissan 8hp NSF8A3 shift linkage

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by jwrock, Jun 2, 2013.

1. jwrock

jwrock I Love microskiff.com!

I bought tiller off craiglist. I get it in the water and hit the gas. It sounds like a blow out. The prop hooks up a little and the engine revs like spun hub. I talked to a buddy of mine and he says it might be the shift shaft. With motor off I shift into reverse and tried to spin the prop. It's locked which is normal, right? When I shift into forward the prop won't spin counterclockwise, but spins clockwise with a loud click. My buddy said shift shaft needed to be adjusted. I he insisted I needed to drop the lower end. But the linkage is exposed. I should have to drop it to adjust it right? There's 2 setscrews on the linkage. Can I adjust the linkage without dropping the lowerend? Is that my problem? The shift shaft? I hope I didn't get screwed. Thanks.

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Did you try it again or just the one time? I have beat the crap out of my duck hunting motor and it has a habit of popping out of gear in reverse if I just hit it in reverse. If I hold it for a second or two she stays right there. I never had it looked at because I know the issue. Maybe the same for yours?

3. jwrock

jwrock I Love microskiff.com!

Yep tried it several times. I didn't want to keep doing too long. I didn't want to mess things up more than what they might be.

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Sorry then, I can be of no help.

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

The OEM shop manual has a complete description of how
    to adjust the linkages and shift rod so the lower unit functions properly.
    If you own the outboard and plan to do your own work, buy the manual.
    It'll save you time, money and stress.