Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· I Love microskiff.com!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 4 stroke, 8hp Merc cuts out at idle speed. Starts on 1st or second pull with choke out at about half throttle (in neutral), and I can engage the gear if I keep the choke out. No matter how warm the engine is, it cuts out if I push in the choke before engaging the gear. Once I get it going, I can push in the choke and it runs fine (8hp pushing a highsider at about 17.6 mph max, according to my gps).

The first problem I had was my fuel line had deteriorated and the engine was sucking air, and there was a small leak at the quick disconnect. This was causing a similar problem to what I've got now, in that the engine would run fine in neutral with some throttle, but as soon as I put a load on it (put it in gear) it would stall. If I pumped the bulb I could get it to run, but that got old real quick.

Any suggestions - with the understanding that I know NOTHING about outboard engines (or any internal combustion engines, for that matter)?

· I Love microskiff.com!
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Brett. I can drain the tank and check the sediment, and I just replaced the fuel line and bulb. Pretty sure even I can figure out how to check a filter, but beyond that is pretty much over my head. I don't know how to "check" the fuel pump.

There should be some kind of test you have to pass to own any kind of boat - where either you show you have almost unlimited wealth (to cover shop labor rates) OR decent knowledge of routine maintenance requirements. I have neither.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.