Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just got a 2005 Tailfisher so excited. Quick question what size minn Kota should I buy. Is a 70 or 80lb really needed. How will the Tailfisher do with a 55lb minn Kota in high current areas. It is a light boat.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Hey guys just got a 2005 Tailfisher so excited. Quick question what size minn Kota should I buy. Is a 70 or 80lb really needed. How will the Tailfisher do with a 55lb minn Kota in high current areas. It is a light boat.
I think ZThomas has the earlier model the Pathfinder and I think he's running a 55 on his so maybe pm him and he can probably answer your question for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 2006 and run a 55. It works great on the flats. Running against the tide in a small creek you will need more power. I just didn’t want to give up the room for another battery

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think ZThomas has the earlier model the Pathfinder and I think he's running a 55 on his so maybe pm him and he can probably answer your question for you.
THANK
Thank you for the info

·
Registered
342 Posts
Low current and light wind the 55 will do just fine. I had a 45 on my Hoog 17 and it served me just fine. I try to work with the wind and/or current. I have a 70 on my 19.5 foot dual console My trolling motor is used primarily for checking my drift and maintaining an ideal distance from my intended casting targets. I have never come close to taxing my trolling motors or my batteries.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have an 08 Tailfisher. Remember, the hull weight is just a few pounds shy of 1000lbs. Add in motor, gear, people, fuel and whatnot, you're pushing 2k.

Mine has an 80lb and it's perfect. Yes, I would like to have a lighter setup, but I'm not willing to give up all day+ performance and the ability to hold and maneuver in very heavy current.

I've never ran my batteries (PC-1500) dead. In fact I've used them two days in a row without a recharge.
With the extra thrust, you can run the motor at a lower speed than a 55lb motor.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an 08 Tailfisher. Remember, the hull weight is just a few pounds shy of 1000lbs. Add in motor, gear, people, fuel and whatnot, you're pushing 2k.

Mine has an 80lb and it's perfect. Yes, I would like to have a lighter setup, but I'm not willing to give up all day+ performance and the ability to hold and maneuver in very heavy current.

I've never ran my batteries (PC-1500) dead. In fact I've used them two days in a row without a recharge.
With the extra thrust, you can run the motor at a lower speed than a 55lb motor.
Pc1500 are awesome I had one on my gheenoe and like you said never ran dry. I did go with an 80lb Ipilot. When I get it mounted I will post pics. Can you post some pics. Specially where did you place for the top deck connection plug.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pc1500 are awesome I had one on my gheenoe and like you said never ran dry. I did go with an 80lb Ipilot. When I get it mounted I will post pics. Can you post some pics. Specially where did you place for the top deck connection plug.
I bought the boat with the TM already installed across the deck and under the front hatch.
I will probably move it to this location.
20190321_205108.jpg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
20190322_180226.jpg
20190322_221257.jpg
Alright guys here she is got an 80 ipilot with a minnkota charger and 2 intestate batteries and battery mounts for 375.00 that's a deal. Plus I just mounted my Garmin 741xs I did go with an inhull ducer that my buddy have me. Let's how this works before I drill any holes.
20190322_180226.jpg
20190322_221257.jpg

·
Registered
583 Posts
That's a steal of a deal.
If you have side imaging, you can mount the xducer opposite of your drain plug. It didn't cause any issues for me.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
Nice damn boat. No jack plate?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'd like to install a backplate on mine, but I don't have room in my garage for a 6".
Would a 4" be worth the effort?

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,067 Posts
Call Bob’s they can help
They have always helped me

1 - 20 of 27 Posts