Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of rebuilding my 17 tunnel hull. Will include new motor (yamaha 70), repairing all scratches on hull, new topside paint and non skid, filling in original push pole holders, removing trolling motor mount and plug, new poling platform, and complete rewire. Will post more pics as I get further along.
0107201441.jpg
0107201441b.jpg
0106201354.jpg

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Good choice on filling those pole holders. Never cared for the look of those big flip up holders.
I covered those ugly suckers up with black starboard and anytide’s push pole holders. So much nicer! The newer HPX-Ts have recessed flip up holders that are nice too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have same hull (2001). Considering a re power and some upgrades/updates.

Would you and others who wish to comment, please post the reasons for the changes you are making? For instance, what is wrong with the current poling platform.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To tall and I am to old
To tall and I am to old
To tall and I am to old
In the process of rebuilding my 17 tunnel hull. Will include new motor (yamaha 70), repairing all scratches on hull, new topside paint and non skid, filling in original push pole holders, removing trolling motor mount and plug, new poling platform, and complete rewire. Will post more pics as I get further along. View attachment 110934 View attachment 110936 View attachment 110932

·
Registered
11 Posts
Understand "old"! So far the only problem I have experienced is the climb on and off the platform. I am considering a folding backrest with a platform to us as a step. I like the height for visibility. I am short so it really helps.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,063 Posts
I like my Accon fold down holders. Keeps me from tripping on them when i run the gunnels. Maybe those who can't stand on there gunnels like those that stick up all the time

Reactions: Buffalo Bob

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,063 Posts
I like my Accon fold down holders. Keeps me from tripping on them when i run the gunnels. Maybe those who can't stand on there gunnels like those that stick up all the time

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
I have fold up ones on my Hewes and I like them too, but I think the ones on the Maverick were connected with a rod to make them all flip up or down at the same time. Kind of a cool idea I guess, but a little gimmicky.

On my Conchfish I'm doing the Stiffy holders, but I'm considering making only the front one a flip holder. Haven't decided yet.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I’d install some garboard drains on the outside corners of the pods as well. They are notorious for holding water on these early model HPX Tunnels. Gemlux stainless or brass with the square plug.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Yes that is the only way on the early hulls. I have a thread showing this and how to seal up the gap behind the rub rail between the cap and hull. You should also focus on sealing gaps around the transom area under the lip and also remove the aluminum angle off the top of the transom and beef up the transom. They leave big voids under it with no foam and it weakens the top clamping area where the bolts penetrate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could you post a link to the thread covering these mods to the cap/hull/rub rail? I am planning to do this and your experience would save me time. I have read what I thought were all the threads about this on the MBG forum and learned about many of the issues with these hulls, but no real help with performing the fixes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts