SOLD/EXPIRED 2003 Mitzi 17 w/ 70hp Yamaha - My loss, your gain

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by J-Will, Apr 15, 2015.

1. J-Will

J-Will I Love microskiff.com!

To make a long story somewhat short, within a week of buying this boat (and before I even fished it) I discovered that part of the port side stringer was loose.  I had talked extensively with the previous owners before buying the boat and then I also wet tested it.  Everything checked out.  After bringing the boat back home, I crawled under the boat to check the bottom out very closely.  The guy I bought it from had told me that the original owner had some gel coat re-done where the old original trailer bunks had worn away at the gel coat.  I had looked at this area before I bought the boat, but nothing stuck out as odd given the age of the boat.  So I’m under the boat checking the whole bottom over and I take my fist and pound around on the bottom of the boat and as I get towards the front of the boat I find a “dead” spot.  I start pushing around and I can tell I have an issue.  The area is forward of the trailer bunk and it gives a little bit when I push on it.  After getting in touch with Tom Mitzlaff to understand specifically how these Mitzi’s were made, I run the situation by him and conclude that the stringer or some portion of it has come loose.  As a side note, these are not foam cored boats, so it is 100% NOT delamination.  I have pictures of the build process.  This problem is not apparent while running the boat and it is not noticeable when you are just looking at the hull from underneath.  I have over $12,000 invested in this boat.  I put a brand new Minn Kota Riptide SP and a new deep cycle battery in it right after I bought it. I already had the trolling motor ordered when I found out about the stringer so I went ahead and put it on.   I also rewired all the accessories and replaced the GPS power cable.  I was on a budget when I bought the boat and didn’t anticipate buying a problem and having to put more cash in it to fix.  So I am disclosing the condition of the boat and putting it up for sale.  If I can’t sell it for a fair price I will probably take it to Jonathan Glasser and have him do the repair work.  I have been in contact with him and received quotes for the work, but after much deliberation over my budget and repair options, I have decided to try to sell it first.  I'm more than happy to talk with anyone and I will answer any and all questions.  I'm willing to work to make this a fair deal for someone.  In the process of fixing the stringer it would be easy to make the whole boat like new again.  I have a lot of info and pictures on how these boats are made and what it would take to fix this that I can share with you.  Everything works except for the lights in the livewell and then obviously the stringer issue.  The boat is located in Niceville, FL.

I’m asking $9,500 for the complete package or $8,000 without the trolling motor and GPS.  That will give someone enough room to get the boat fixed and still stay within market value.  Call me at (850) 533-7873 with any questions.  Thanks.

2003 Mitzi Skiff 17
    Boat Specs:  16'-10" Length, 77" Beam
    2000 Yamaha 70 hp – Complete service done in Sept
    2013 Continental trailer w/ torsion axle and mag wheels with spare tire
    2014 55lb thrust 12v Minn Kota Rip Tide SP with co-pilot remote
    2014 Garmin 541s GPS w/sonar
    Side console custom installed by East Cape Skiffs
    Poling platform custom installed by East Cape Skiffs with sea dek and Tibor push pole holder
    Aluminum leaning post for poling platform
    Custom seat cushion
    Custom made Sunbrella canvas boat cover
    Gray awl grip non-skid applied in 2013
    Shark eye navigation lights
    12 gallon portable gas tank
    6 under gunwale rod holders
    Large livewell
    Lenco trim tabs
    Bilge pump
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Johnster

Johnster I Love microskiff.com!

How much did Glasser quote you for the work?

3. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. I have actually fished on your boat a couple yeas ago, its a nice skiff. I caught a nice red on fly that day. Sounds like a lot of work, but they should be able to access the problem through the floor. Jonathan is very good at what he does. By the time it's fixed you would never know there was an issue. If I were you I would be inclined to fix it instead of sell it. If fixed properly you should be able to recover the repair cost with a higher sale price down the road or just keep it and fish it. Either way good luck.

4. tomahawk

tomahawk Well-Known Member

Pretty skiff. I would fix it as well.

5. J-Will

Harbah Master - PM'ed you

el9surf - That's great to hear you got a red on fly on this boat! I love the boat, the layout especially, and would like to keep it. It's definitely the nicest Mitzi I have seen. I have watched almost all of the restores that Glasser has done on here and understand he has incredible skill. Problem to me is that I live in the Panhandle 7 hrs away from his shop and I hesitate to drop my boat off with anything less than a fixed price quote if I wont be able to be actively involved in the restore. If it doesn't sell I may have to take the risk.

6. living_water1

living_water1 I Love microskiff.com!

Thats a sharp looking Mitzi , best of luck with sale.

7. Harlieb3

Harlieb3 I Love microskiff.com!

Price to repair?

8. james_bingham3

james_bingham3 I Love microskiff.com!

9. Bonecracker

Bonecracker Well-Known Member

In a way it sounds like the HB I just purchased in Mobile. I have never purchased a boat sight unseen but was told by a good friend that the boat was clean with a couple of gel coat cracks and the motor ran fine! No wet test, no trailer test, no nothing!! Bad idea in the used boat world and I know this. Lets just say the HB name overcame that issue! Now that the boat is home, the engine needs parts, trailer got new hubs and new tires this week, and now she is off for some fiberglass work which I do not know will cost. Believe me, not what I expected and I am coming to a crossroads with this Waterman soon!!

10. J-Will

The quote I received from Jonathan Glasser was $2,000 for the stringer repair. I also asked him for a quote to re-gel the bottom and polish. An additional $1,200 to do that.

11. J-Will

I understand the frustration well Bonecracker! I wet tested this boat and gave it a thorough once over, but still did not find the stringer issue. It isn't detectable without laying down and getting under the boat. I'm sure many folks here could agree that when you are going to buy a used boat your mind is spinning as you try to make sure you are not forgetting anything...money, bill of sale, title, registration, etc. In the cluster of the moment I didn't think about actually touching the bottom of the boat...of course I got down and looked at it, but that wasn't enough to find the problem. Lesson learned!

Tell ya what, if you get tired of working on that Waterman, I'll trade ya! :)

12. jamarcusray

jamarcusray Mitzi Madness

Sweet boat. I hope you get past your issues. I just bought my first used boat and have been dealing with some "oops I didn't mentions" from the previous owners. Just think of it this way, you're doing the right thing so your fish karma should be up!

13. J-Will

Thanks! Being honest about the situation is the only way to go. No matter how it plays out...

14. pt448

pt448 Well-Known Member

Have you shopped around to see if you could get the repair done for less?  I know Glasser does amazing work, but I would think any reputable repair shop could fix a stringer.  Selling the TM and GPS would cover a good bit of the repair cost and could be replaced as your budget allows.  It just seems like you put a lot of effort and expense into getting this skiff, which is one of the most amazing Mitzi's I've seen.  I admire you for sticking to your budget, but I wouldn't give up on the boat so quickly.

15. rjake4618

rjake4618 I Love microskiff.com!

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

So how about some knowledge from some gifted used boat buyers. I'm in the market for my first boat. Would you have a boat surveyor check the boat before you purchased it? Would you have a water trial? How about a list of the minimum things an experienced used boat buyer would do.

Thanks

16. J-Will

I've looked around as best I could...I have only found 2 guys locally that even do fiberglass work. This really surprised me, but I have asked, looked, and called all over. Both guys work primarily on larger boats and don't even advertise as they are booked up with work from referrals. Both gave me bids that were more than twice as high as Glasser just to repair a stringer. I'm not giving up on it completely. If a buyer doesn't come along, I will be tackling this somehow. I would welcome any good fiberglass contacts up here in the Panhandle.

17. trplsevenz

trplsevenz I Love microskiff.com!

Hey I know that flat and those trees. Can you access where the stringer is from inside the front deck or is it more in the cockpit area?? Are they wood stringers? You could cut out and repair this yourself, just leave the finish work to someone else. There is a guy in Milton named Fayne Limbo. Supposed to be really good glass man as well. Can probably dig his number up pretty quick. Much closer than Rockledge. If you have any questions on the DIY repair, drop me a line, I'm not too far from you.

18. trplsevenz

trplsevenz I Love microskiff.com!

There also a guy off of Redwood ave that does work at his house. Older gent. Not sure if he takes on new work, but he is always rebuilding one.

19. el9surf

I don't know your financial situation so take my advice with a grain of salt, just playing devils advocate here. Say you sell the boat at 9k, you will lose 3k at the sale from your initial investment.

Say you fix the whole thing spend an extra $3200 and now have $15,200 into it.
    Fixed up you now have a solid boat you will be happy to keep for years at a reasonable price. While the floor is out have Jon reinforce everything.

If you sell this one to turn and buy something else you are going to get hit with the depreciation on this boat, plus the depreciation of a new boat assuming you buy another skiff. You also walk into another situation if you buy used where anything could happen, including the same situation all over again. Don't beat yourself up over the fact that you missed this in your initial inspection at the time of purchase. It's just as likely to happen a year down the road from normal use. Should you buy a newer more expensive boat the depreciation hit will probably be bigger. This isn't really an issue till you go to sell, especially if financed. Either way it will still impact you at some point.

I don't know the answer for you, but if it was me I would pay for the repair. Stuff breaks and even with the fix you arent into it for too much past market value. It's not like flats skiffs are cheap these days. Drive the boat down on a Saturday, no time off work. Pickup on a weekend and make an adventure of it.

20. el9surf

Harry Spear is up in your neck of the woods. Not sure if he would, but he is capable of fixing this. If you can make the drive Jon's skills are worth the money.