Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Action Craft 1620SE RE-DO
I purchased this boat 2 months ago with the intentions of completely stripping and re-doing it. I have always liked AC boats and have owned a dozen or so since 1995. Since I work in the marine industry I have owned, worked on, or fished out of every boat you could possibly imagine. I always like the way the Action Crafts hold up, the design, and how well they ride. I get to see all kinds of boats come through my shop and I know which manufacturers to stay away from and which ones are good. Action Craft's pass the test.

I recently sold my 2003 1910 Coastal Bay after completely re-doing in 2014(the most versatile boat for my fishing needs I have ever owned). I needed to put a 3rd bedroom in my house so I sold that boat and decicded eventually I would scale back down to a flats boat.

The Boat was in great working order when I picked it up but I wanted it "modernized" and rigged With all the amenities comparable to boats being produced today (Only difference is the price tag). We got started in early December with the intentions of finishing before the 25th.

Originally The boat had the following: 90 hp 2-stroke Mercury, Bennet Hydraulic Tabs, Motorguide 55lbs Trolling motor, No Jack Plate, 6 foot original power pole, a broken LMS 527 Gps/FF, Dry rotted cushions and a ghetto live-well pump system. My goal was to switch to a 4-stroke, shift weight, add jack plate, Motorguide XI5 24vt, and acomplete re-wire with new batteries, LED lights, and install dual power poles.

Here is how it came out:

1) Yamaha 70 hp 4-stroke 2011 with 55 hours
2) Dual Black 8ft Power-Poles
3) Motorguide XI5 24v 80lbs
4) Lowrance Elite 7 W/ structure scan
5) Bob's Machine Shop 6" Set Back Action Jack
6) Minn-kota Dual Charger(best charger I have ever owned had this one for years)
7) I replaced the Hydraulic Bennet Tabs with the Bennet Electric Conversion Kit
8) Dual 8ft Black Power-Poles Sportsman 2 Models. I decided to thru-bolt both Port and Starboard because my experiences is they hold better on the transom spaced out further.
9) All new cushions
10) I had the switch panel re-done with a carbon fiber look
11) Complete Re-wire with heavy guage marine grade wire. Everything heat-shrinked
12) Re-did the bilge area for easy and clean access
13) Re-did the Port Storage Compartment so its clean and easy to access pumps
14) I shifted the G27 trolling motor batteries to the front deck and G24 house battery to the console. This helped with weight distribution.
15) Battery tender quick disconnect trolling motor plug
16) Minn-kota quick disconnect Trolling motor Bracket on a custom starboard support piece that I had made to cover up previous trolling motor install where guy made deck look like swiss cheese
17) Move the Bow lights under the deck and went to LED shark eyes and added an LED stern light
18) Replaced fuel water separator and fuel lines. I wanted a clear glass bowl. (I went to marpac as a test because someone from Marpac told me they recently upgraded their fuel products, we shall see)
19) removed cheesy rod holders and installed stainless steel rod holders with tackle station. I also had custom composite panels made to cover holes and to add backing support for wiring posts.
20) New terminal blocks, blue seas battery switch, remote terminal posts, fuse and breakers. Also all new rocker switches and usb charging port.
21) a bunch of other things I cannot remember.

Performance:

In case you are wonder if the 70 hp Yamaha 4-stroke is under powered...….It idoes fine. The boat is not a speed demon but it balances out very good with a light-weight motor. Since I sell used outboards I have access to all kinds of motors and on a boat this small, in my opinion, you are really limited. Ideally I would like to have had a 90-115 hp 4-stroke but the weight of 350lbs or so ruins the flats boat benefits. I am sacrificing speed for handling and draft. I have learned over the years boats will ride better when you have a lighter outboard. Too much stern weight will cause the bow to slap on plane and in chop. I did not want that. I also did not want a dog that would not get out of the hole.

The 70 hp Yamaha 4-stroke, which weighs around 260lbs will push the boat at WOT of 36Mph in freshwater with one person loaded with the above features. I tested out 4 props today and a 17p Yamaha prop did the best. Hole Shot was great. I was satisfied with the performance. My guess is a 90 will push it 42ish but an extra 6 or 7mph while gaining 90lbs is not worth it in my opinion. My floating draft is under 10".

One of things that impressed me the most is the boat will plane and run with the jack plate all the way up. Many boats that are not tunnel hulls struggle to do this. Most tunnel hulls are slow and ride like crap, pads ride good and perform well but cavitate too easily with jack plate. AC's Pocket makes a perfect compromise. This boat will run shallow and perform good with the jack plate all the way up. You do not get that drag that tunnel boats often have. This is one of the many reasons I am a fan of AC. I believe their hull design and architecture is simple but brilliant.

I hope to that some of you can get some idea's from this small project. I know that some of you guys would have done things differently but I am overall very happy based on my lake test today. If I can be of any help I would more than happy to assist.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Great looking boat. :cool: Your hard work shows. Should be a great fishing machine for you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Awesome man. I just started cleaning up my 1720 to put it up for sale, but instead I'm falling in love all over again. These boats are so well thought out and built in not sure I'll be able to top it. Your downsize in motor has got me thinking. I would like to shed some weight also. Right now I'm running an etec 115, but am very curious about how a yamaha 90 2 stroke would push it. Nice work thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Awesome man. I just started cleaning up my 1720 to put it up for sale, but instead I'm falling in love all over again. These boats are so well thought out and built in not sure I'll be able to top it. Your downsize in motor has got me thinking. I would like to shed some weight also. Right now I'm running an etec 115, but am very curious about how a yamaha 90 2 stroke would push it. Nice work thanks for sharing!
You'd be fine with a 90 2 stroke. I run a 90 Merc 2 strokes on my 1820 action craft and I run around 30 mph at 4500 rpms and like the light motor on the back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the input. Sadly, I decided I am going to sell it... Im really wanting to simplify and get on the platform more, and that damn boat just gives me too many options! I can't seem leave the house without at least 8 rods and 100lbs of gear solo fishing.... I'd really like to run one of these lighter setups on an AC one day though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts